PDA

View Full Version : OOPS--I plugged my holes !!!

TerryEspo
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Just read here "NOT" to plug the tap holes, geesh !!

Should I go with pliers and some tools to remove the wooden sticks (dry Maple branches) I broke off inside my tap holes?

Not a big job if needed, maybe I have 30-35 to do.

Thanks once again for everyones help.

Terry

talahi maple products
05-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Don't worry about it, I did same thing my 1st year and now several years later I can't tell where they were. The tree will heal O.K. It must be some type of natural newbe thing that just seems right to put plugs in holes, I've seen it posted on here before.:rolleyes:

adk1
05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
why would you ever plug the holes? not like you use them again

TerryEspo
05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I mistakenly plugged the holes thinking that maybe insects or worm type bugs might have a good start to inside the tree.

I never plugged them to re-use, I do know not to tap again close to the old hole, min. 4" away next time, I was just trying to assist the tree in it's healing process.

Love this site !!

Terry

adk1
05-11-2011, 03:20 PM
gotchya. yeah, they say 4" either side and 6" above or below the year priors taphole I believe. Heck with the trees I have, I will circle them in 3 years :)

Jeff E
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
If its not a big deal, I would pull the stuff out.
If the filler inhibits the growth layer, just under the bark, the tree may have to do extra work at healing. Also, the introduction of whatever was on the sticks into the sap wood cant be good.

maple flats
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
The trees will heal faster without the plugs. Plugs tend to get nasty in beyond the plug, a hole just starts filling in from inside outward. Think of it like having a cut with bacteria in it, if you seal the bacteria in it takes longer. do not try to clean, just let nature do the job.

Thad Blaisdell
05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
You just put something in the tree that will rot down..... I would pull them out.