PDA

View Full Version : Simmering questiononce at 219 ??

TerryEspo
05-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Hello Everybody,,,,

Sorry for the basic questions, but what a great group of people to help us newbies !!

This year (my first), I did approx. 6 small batch boils and a couple of those batches the syrup seems very thin. I did bring each batch to 219 then remove from heat.

I did not have a hydrometer, just thermometer.

My question is,,,will I need to simmer the sap sometimes even after it reaches 219?

I will buy a hydrometer before next season.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Terry

PerryW
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Hello Everybody,,,,

Sorry for the basic questions, but what a great group of people to help us newbies !!

This year (my first), I did approx. 6 small batch boils and a couple of those batches the syrup seems very thin. I did bring each batch to 219 then remove from heat.

I did not have a hydrometer, just thermometer.

My question is,,,will I need to simmer the sap sometimes even after it reaches 219?

Terry

You don't want to ever simmer the sap, as simmer implies a slow boil. Just keep boiling at full tilt until your syrup reaches the correct density, then filter quickly before it cools down.

talahi maple products
05-11-2011, 09:10 AM
it's hard to trust a thermometer,even a real good one can be off a little.
You can always use the old fasion way of dipping a spatula & waiting for the sheeting action. But the only sure way to have consistant vescocity is with a hydrometer.:)

TerryEspo
05-11-2011, 09:27 AM
What is the harm with simmering sap on a slow boil?

Maybe a silly question, just curious.

Thanks.

Terry

PerryW
05-11-2011, 02:42 PM
What is the harm with simmering sap on a slow boil?

Maybe a silly question, just curious.

Thanks.

Terry

Simmering syrup will not hurt the syrup but will darken it (and take longer to get to syrup).

CBOYER
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
try 7.2 deg F over boiling water. Each day and location, boiling water temperature change. you will be closer to real syrup this way.

GramaCindy
05-11-2011, 04:32 PM
OKAY….. now I have a "stupid question" I used my hydrometer all season, drawing off at 6* over the boiling point. Turkey fryer until hydrometer floated at the 32* mark. Why do some people suggest using the temp. of the day….or something like that? Isn't the hydrometer accurate enough?:confused:

CBOYER
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
"I will buy a hydrometer before next season"

Thats why...:rolleyes:

Bill'sSugarShack
05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
OKAY….. now I have a "stupid question" I used my hydrometer all season, drawing off at 6* over the boiling point. Turkey fryer until hydrometer floated at the 32* mark. Why do some people suggest using the temp. of the day….or something like that? Isn't the hydrometer accurate enough?:confused:

Hydrometer is always right..just be sure syrup being tested is hot...

adk1
05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
and that you dont have any residual buildup on the hydrometer as it will affect the measurement

maple flats
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Test temperature is critical. Notice that the "hot temp is at 211 degrees whic is basically from rapid boil, into hydrometer cup once to preheat cup, then dump back into boil and immediately add new batch to test cup. The syrup will cool to 211 about as fast as you can float the hydrometer.
I actually use an accu cup with a digital thermometer and temperature correction chart but if you are fast enough you can get it pretty close. I like to draw mine slightly thick and then dilute to proper density for canning. If you bottle syrup too light it can spoil, if too thick it will precipitate sugar crystals (rock candy). The latter is preferred to a slight degree. To do by temperature you must test the boiling point of water at that time (must be rapidly boiling) and add 11.3 is best. You also need a thermometer that you can read the temp precisely. Digitals are best but dial ones or fluid expansion ones work (like mercury or ?)

PerryW
05-11-2011, 10:10 PM

It's not the temperature of the day, it's the temperature of the syrup at when you are taking the hydrometer reading.

The upper red line on the hydrometer assumes a HOT TEST, which assumes a just-after-draw-off temperature of around 210 degrees. If your syrup is at a lower temperature, you need actually measure the temperature and use a chart to determine the correct hydrometer reading for syrup.

If you stuck a hydrometer in a cup of syrup right from the evaporator and watched it over time; the hydrometer would slowly rise from 32 to 36 Baume at it cooled to room temperature.

butch361
05-12-2011, 06:55 AM
I have a digital thermometer with a barometer hanging in the sugar house. I have a chart that shows the corresponding boiling point of water to the barometric pressure. So I have a digital thermometer in my syrup pan. When the correct temperature is reached I begin drawing off. I do check it with a hydrometer. By doing it this way my wife loves to run the evaporator. She can’t wait to have the money for an automatic draw off.:lol:

TF Maple
05-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Just to make sure this question is answered completely, and it isn't stupid, here goes. If you are drawing off by temperature you need to boil water each day to know where the boiling point is, because barometric pressure changes will change the boiling temperature.
Yes the hydrometer is accurate enough as long as you correct for the syrup temperature.

CBOYER
05-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks Tf Maple ,you explain clearly something a french speaking guy cannot..:lol:

Dave Y
05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
A lot of folks use a 0-7 thermometer and you need to know the point of boiling water to know what syrup is. I use a thermometer and hydrometer both use one to check against the other

PerryW
05-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes the hydrometer is accurate enough as long as you correct for the syrup temperature.

And when you correct for syrup temperature, the thermometer does not have to be a super-accurate model or be calibrated to barometric pressure. A difference of 10 degrees F only affects the syrup density about 1/4 of a point Baume.