PDA

View Full Version : We did it! Tapped 2 trees today

gmcooper
02-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Well it was for the local TV station!. They were doing a story on the weather and the Maple Season. Told them we were getting things ready and adding more taps but they had to come out so i tapped a couple trees on tubing for the camera. sap was running some. Quite warm and just stopped raining.

While watching the Super Bowl Halftime show and talking on the phone to an other maple producer. In between the big commercials ABC channel 8 ran a news update and showed tapping a tree and gave the maple story a promo for the 11 o'clock news cast. That was cool made TV during the half time show! Have to wait and see how the whole story comes out. You never know what they will tell or edit for the story. I know what I told them, but after doing 25-30 interviews for tv I know it can come out way different on air!

Revi
02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I sure wish we could tap now, but we have all our lines up for logging. Now we have had to stop that because it's too warm. It'll freeze up some this next few weeks, but we're tapping around February 20th anyway. Come heck or high water. (We could get both)

Revi
02-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Well I'm glad we waited to tap. It's frozen up more in the past week than it did all winter! I saw a sap icycle, coming off a cut off maple branch yesterday. I think the trees will run after it warms up around the end of the month. We can wait... I guess, though I'd love to try out our new evaporator!

gmcooper
02-12-2006, 09:39 AM
What a difference a week makes! Last weekend we were working in water 6" deep running mainline . This weekend frozen solid. Today too cold and snowing to finnish putting in new tubing. That was the plan to have all the new done this weekend so we can be ready to tap when the weather is right.

Revi
02-13-2006, 08:35 AM
We're putting up some new tubing too. I hope we can put it up next week when I have vacation. We have a new evaporator, so we need to feed the new beast! I am psyched to spend a week working in the woods. It's school vacation week, and I'm a teacher, so a week spent doing that should be fun. We might even tap, since it's supposed to warm up.