PDA

View Full Version : Stainless tank thickness?

BryanEx
05-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I found the following stainless 132 gallon tank with lid, 4 fittings, and stand for $400 but I'm concerned about the .5mm thick sides. That would be about 26 gauge I think. Would I be asking for trouble using an up right tank with sides that thin or would I be fine once it's set up out of harms way?

Glacier Tanks (http://www.glaciertanks.com/SS304_Tanks_Non-Pressure-132_Gallon_SS304_Non-Pressurized_Tank.html)

- Bryan

05-10-2011, 07:30 PM
If held liquid before why cant it now

BryanEx
05-10-2011, 07:44 PM
These are brand new tanks they are selling. I'm just concerned about how easily 26 gauge could be damaged from handling and/or repeatedly emptying 5 gallon pails into it. Even aluminum foil will hold water... just don't poke at it with 130 gallons on the other side. :o

Sugarmaker
05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Bryan,
Maybe build a plywood box around it? I think it will work for you! Sounds like a nice tank. Better get a couple! PICTURES!!!
Regards,
Chris

gmcooper
05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Nice looking tank. Where does it drain?

3rdgen.maple
05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Brian that would be 24 guage. I bet that alot of the old galvanized tanks that have been around for years and years were 24 guage and they still are holding sap. I say go for it. Thats a good price for 304 ss. I got the 24 guage of a website that has a conversion chart on it.

CBOYER
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
bryanEx, a text from Homebrewtalk forum:
Hi all,

I have seen Glacier Tanks mentioned a few times on HBT and some other sites, so I was interested to check them out. I stopped by the showroom recently and thought I would relay my findings.

As the website shows, this company offers some very cheap stainless steel tanks. $399 for a 132 gal stainless steel tank seems like a steal. The side of the tank says: "Made by DAPHACO for Glacier Tanks". A google search indicates that Daphaco is likely a Vietnamese company, but that is mere speculation and not directly relevant

When I went to the showroom -- which is a shared office with a copy center and shipping surplus store -- no one was around. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you are planning to stop by, you should probably schedule a time with the owner. They responded to a weekend email the following monday, so you can expect a prompt reply.

Now to the tanks. They had two 132 gal vertical tanks (this is the only size/configuration they have in stock at the moment) sitting in the "showroom" and had a few more in the back mixed in with the shipping surplus outlet.

Initial impressions were nice, essentially the same as viewing the website. Closer inspection yielded a different take.

If you don't know the size of 26 gauge steel, a keg is ~16 gauge steel, so the tank is much thinner. I was able to lift the tank off the ground with an extended arm -- like an awkward shoulder raise. This all shouldn't be a surprise since the 26 gauge and 40 lb spec are listed on the website.

Now to the details not available on the website.

Since the sheet metal is so thin, all of the welds (they definitely aren't TIG welds) are heat damaged, rendering the stainless steel essentially not stainless. All of the "welds" are covered in a smeared-on silicone sealant, thus making it "food grade" by covering the nasty heat damaged steel.

Where the side walls are joined to the top and bottom, there are visible wrinkles in the sheet metal on the inside. Very concerning from both a sanitation and corrosion standpoint.

The 1" bulkheads appear to be the half coupler type, making attaching anything to the inside very difficult. Otherwise they seem fine. Also, the threading appears to be the straight type, not NPT.

The lids are similar gauge stainless (?) steel. Very, very, flimsy. The lids are held on by a very cheap latch that definitely doesn't form a complete seal.

I realize the website doesn't claim this, but it definitely will not hold pressure.

Again, it is not claimed by the company, but I don't see how these could ever be used for brewing. They are in an unusable condition as sold and modifying anything of this gauge steel is nearly impossible.

I was very disappointed that my local lead for super cheap fermentor/mixing/brite tanks was such a let down. Oh well. Hope this information was helpful for anybody looking into these tanks.

Also, I have some pics but no way of posting them. I'd be happy to email them to a forum member to post.

3rdgen.maple
05-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Hmm that all doesnt sound so pleasing anymore.

BryanEx
05-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Thanks very much for the information CBOYER! I will keep looking and not bother adding the link to Sugarbush.Info

CBOYER
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Found that the site for beer maker give us some good info for stainless diy.
Funny that i dont drink any beer:lol:

BryanEx
05-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Great info on the first stainless tank so let me try another. This one is offered from a large US bee keeping supplier. A little smaller at 100 gallon, 24 gauge stainless, soldered joints, with a price of $313.00. A lid, strainer, and stand are all available at an extra cost.

Kelley Bees (http://kelleybees.com/CMS/CMSPage.aspx?OrganizationId=3&pageName=productDetail&productId=6629%7cProductGroup)

I've written to them twice asking about the solder and a little better photo but so far no reply which to be honest, makes me wonder about doing business with them.

- Bryan

bees1st
05-12-2011, 06:40 AM
being also into the bee business, I've dealt with the Kelley Company many times over the years.Good honest equipment at good prices. I have one of their 40 gal. tanks , I use it for mixing sugar syrup to feed the bees , I'm happy with it. Try calling them ,they always answer the phone.

BryanEx
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Good to know bees1st... thanks! Are you able to confirm the solder is lead free on the tanks by chance? The 100 gallon tanks would be perfect for my needs (one now and one later), the price is right at a little over $300, I'm just concerned about how the seems are joined.

- Bryan

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Found that the site for beer maker give us some good info for stainless diy.
Funny that i dont drink any beer:lol:

You live in Canada and don't drink beer? dam there is something wrong here:D

CBOYER
05-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Maple Chumlee:lol:
Digestion problem whit beer..:cry:
My other problem is that i'm a Rhum addict:o

bees1st
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
bryan, I bought this tank 25 years ago so I bet it's lead .

BryanEx
05-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Okay... so I'll have to call them to find out the current scoop. I'll post here with any results.

- Bryan

bees1st
05-14-2011, 05:51 PM
BryanEx , you should also check out Dadant and sons in Waverly, NY.they have welded round tanks as well.Their 83 gallon tank goes for $535 you might save the difference in shipping.

BryanEx
05-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks very much bees1st... I see they also have a 145 gallon tank available which is closer to the size I'm looking for and it's welded rather than soldered. I'll have to do some comparison shopping on shipping rates to see what my actual landed costs will be. I'll keep this thread updated as I get info in case others are looking for 100~150 gallon stainless storage options in the future.

- Bryan