PDA

View Full Version : First year another mistake

5050racing
05-10-2011, 04:49 AM
My first boilings were not finished enough and now alittle mold on the top only the size of a dime in 6 12oz jars.Can I suck it up with a baster and reboil the the rest as long as I suck up a little extra to make sure I removed all the mold?

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-10-2011, 05:03 AM
yes you can skim mold of and re-boil, but make sure your at syrup with a hydrometer, and can it at at least 180 deg.

Butch
05-10-2011, 05:51 AM
We took the extra precautionary step of also boiling the bottles and caps for a couple minutes before introducing the hot (180+) syrup. Then, lay the bottles on their side for awhile as they cool to further sterilize the neck of the bottle and the bottom of the cap. It was worth the time and cost to insure quality product and so far -0- complaints.

Butch in Alden, MI

latewood
05-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Butch,
I think your problem with the mold may be caused by improper canning practices. For example,if syrup was too cool(should be at least 180*),container not sealed properly,cap loose etc. Yes density issues will cause premature mold,but it would more than likely also cause fermentation problems as well.I agree as long as the syrup is reboiled,skimmed off and repackaged at the correct temp. it should suffer no loss of quality,other than perhaps a bit of darkening.

red maples
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
yep I agree. I had a 5 gallon that was only 1/2 full and its only been a short time since I put it in there and the density is a 1/2 to 1 point heavy and it had a few 2 or 3 mold spots on it. it will be fine. just make sure the bottles/ jars are hot before you put in the hot syrup, set them on the side for a second and they should be fine. I knew I was going to get into it fairly quickly so I wasn't too worried(I should have stuck it into the down stairs fridge!)

5050racing
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Bottles,caps,jars were boiled,filled with over 180 syrup,and jars inverted for an hour or so when filled.I only used the 219 temp but not long enough on lower heat.My latter syrup was all fine and thicker.Time for a hydrometer!!Thank You all for the great news that I can save it,This site is GREAT!!

latewood
05-10-2011, 07:07 PM
One thing I did forget to mention---when you reboil your syrup or bring it to a temp. above 180* you should also re-filter it because niter may precipitate again in the finished syrup.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
One thing I did forget to mention---when you reboil your syrup or bring it to a temp. above 180* you should also re-filter it because niter may precipitate again in the finished syrup.

I think niter only shows up when you get your syrup up to a boil. just reheat and can shouldn't do it to my knowledge.

3rdgen.maple
05-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Directions on the sugar hill jugs say bring it back up to a boil. SO you should refilter and can it at 180 and your good.

Haynes Forest Products
05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
First your blaming the low density for the mold......dont as stated its the bottling temp and practice............I agree. Now if your wrong about the density and you have finished syrup that is to density and your going to use it for yourself ..........leave it alone until you want to use it. pour out of the bottle heat and use. IF its for sale reheat filter and rebottle.
Have you ever noticed that a bottle that molds only does it for a small amount at the top and then stops.................I think that the mold wipes itself out and stops propagating. I have opened a bottle that had the dime mold and scraped it out and resealed the bottle and put it in the pantry and it was mold free after that. Fed it to the mother in law and she ain't been back:D Plus I haven't had to go to Costco for Eggos every 2 days:cool:

3rdgen.maple
05-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Haynes Im thinking the mother in law hasnt been back because it was probably the one from your first marriage and not the current one.

5050 I think myself and everyone else has it all wrong actually. I think it would be best if you just dumped the syrup out and book a night at the comfort zone again and stop over and buy some more syrup from me instead. I will even let you take a tour if you split and stack some wood for me. Dont worry I will give you the prefered customer rate. :D

5050racing
05-11-2011, 04:45 AM
I will be up there after your trip you planed to come down here to see what happens on a farm this time of year,you said you like to go to the gym,I have 500 bales of hay ready to bale today!Thanks everyone for the help on this matter,and keep posting about it I,m learning here.The syrup is for ME so I will reheat and filter and boil jars better with caps.3590

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Directions on the sugar hill jugs say bring it back up to a boil. SO you should refilter and can it at 180 and your good.

read directions? hell I fly by the tank in my jeep:lol:

5050racing
05-11-2011, 04:53 AM
I will since the syrup is not finished?? I think, need hydrometer

3rdgen.maple
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I will be up there after your trip you planed to come down here to see what happens on a farm this time of year,you said you like to go to the gym,I have 500 bales of hay ready to bale today!Thanks everyone for the help on this matter,and keep posting about it I,m learning here.The syrup is for ME so I will reheat and filter and boil jars better with caps.3590

Thanks but Im well aware about bales of hay and Farms. Grew up on 2 of them.