PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Size

Jay
02-05-2006, 04:48 PM
How do you figure out what size you need if you plan on growing every year. I dont want to be buying and selling evaporators every few years. Do I pick a kinda in the middle size and then just add on as I need to, steam away,R/O and such? Right now I dont have a evaporator or sap house and have it worked out with a friend that we will split the syrup from the sap that I bring to him (works good because he is down 300 or so taps because of tent caterpillars) With in 3 or 4 years I would like to be up to about 2000 taps or so.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Jay,

Sounds like an interesting situation. I would recommmend a 4x14 or larger for 2,000 taps, but that is too big for 300 taps. If you are going to sell sap for 2 or 3 years, then try to start out with around 1,000 taps and you should be fine with a 3x12 or a 4x14. This will still give you the capacity to grow.

A 3x8 is a good size to start out and if you outgrow it, then just get a RO and this would be sufficient for 2,000 taps! :D

Sugarmaker
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Jay,
I Agree with Brandon, There are so many add ons today you don't have to buy a huge evaporator. I would suggest that you get the Ohio Maple Manual, it has some good suggestions. Also a smaller evaporator can make a lot of syrup if you put the time in. So it is really a trade off. My guess without knowing your situation would be at least a 4 x 12 for 2000 taps. One of our members just bought a 3.5 x 10 with steam away and has a R.O. He has run about 3000 taps. Good news is you have a lot of options!
Good Luck
cec

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Chris,

Who might that be????

Parker
02-06-2006, 04:46 AM
Personally, I like a big evaporator,, generally you can find a 4x14 to 6x16 for around $2000, you will probally need to buy a flue pan (big $) but once you have it set up your done,,,no R.O,s to fiddle with,,no steam aways to buy and build your sugarhouse around,,just lots of wood to cut,,and you should be cutting lots of wood to keep your bush properly thinned,,,few people want a big evap. cause they dont want to have to cut all that wood or burn that much oil,,most all the big timers run R.O,s so not much demand for a 5x16........
,wish I could remember the name of the fellow in Montpelier I bought my finisher from,,he had a stainless small bros. 6x16 wood fired converted to oil,,,was asking $2500,,I would bet he would take less.....big evap=less time in the sugarhouse and more time checking tubing,,,,just my opinion.....good luck

forester1
02-06-2006, 07:44 AM
There is an exercise in the maple producers manual which is online, that will take the hours you have for boiling times the number of taps you have or will have. It goes by the hours you have more than the number of taps. It will recommend the size you need. Of course it doesn't take into account preheaters, steamaways, RO's etc. that the others have brought up so if you plan on getting one of those, you could figure the gallons per hour on those too.

sweetwoodmaple
02-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Just remember to be honest with yourself on hours of boiling.

If you go wood fired and fire to get the best boiling rate, you could be throwing wood in every 5-10 minutes. With all the other checks that I do while firing, I really never sit down. You can get worn out fast if you are firing for 10 hours per day for several days straight (or maybe I'm just a wimp).

All I'm saying is that the usual calculation for an evaporator is figuring a 10 hour boiling day, and is overly optimistic. I.E. A 2 x 6 with deep flues is usualy rated for 300 taps.

Good Luck!

Revi
02-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Get as big an evaporator as you think you'll grow into. We got a sportsman and had to upgrade to a 2x6. That'll be our ideal size. I don't intend to haul more than 50 buckets, so we will get around 400 taps. Perfect size for that.

maplwrks
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Jay,
The way of the future is to go with a small evaporator and R.O. the hell out of the sap. I'm running 3300 taps on a 2 1/2 x 8 and and I'm not having any issues at all. I concentrate to a min. of 13% before boiling! I too, was in the same boat that you are in just 2 years ago, wondering what size I needed. My advice to you is to buy a 2 1/2 x 8 or a 3 x 10 and start thinking about an R.O.

Sugarmaker
02-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Brandon,
When I said member I may have thrown you off. This sugar maker (with the 3.5 x 10 .....) is a member of our local NWPA Maple association. He may not be on the maple trader site. He down sized from a 5 x 14? I think.
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
WOW! 8O

Way to go Mike Christian. Sounds like you have it all figured out! 3300 taps and a 2.5 x 8 evaporator! Just shows you really can save a lot of money! :D :D

Jay
02-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info everybody!!! I guess its not a bad problem to have. Jay

maplwrks
02-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Brandon,
At 13%, I can make approx 15-18 gallons of syrup per hour with only 3.5 gallons of fuel. It happens real fast! I have boiled 22% concentrate(not on my rig) and had no troubles at all. The down side to concentrating that high is bad nitre build up and no time in the sugarhouse for visitors!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Mike,

At 13%, is there any difference in color vs boiling 2%??

Sounds like you are running it thru the RO twice?? Is this wear a lot faster on the membranes??

maplwrks
02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Brandon,
We tend to gain a full grade in color and flavor. Yes, I run it through the R.O. 2-3 times. It does not harm the membrane because I keep the pressure down around 350-375 psi. Extreme pressure is the real enemy of the membrane. I also put it through a "soap bath" every 10 hours of use, which takes about 3 hours. This keeps the membrane nice and clean and keeps the flow rate high.