PDA

View Full Version : How much for personal use?

SDdave
05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I was reading in the business forum on amounts sold retail, bulk, donations, what nots. But I never see how much does the actual sugarist keeps for personal use? A gallon? Maybe more?

SDdave

TerryEspo
05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I made approx. 3 gallons this year, first year doing it. I gave approx. 1 gallon away and am now keeping the other 2 gallons which seems enough for my family of 4 people, maybe not though, next year, for sure 3-4 gallons for my home.

ennismaple
05-09-2011, 11:30 PM
I was reading in the business forum on amounts sold retail, bulk, donations, what nots. But I never see how much does the actual sugarist keeps for personal use? A gallon? Maybe more?

SDdave

What will we use the remaining 9 months of the year? We easily go through 4 gallons a year in my house and its increasing now that my daughter cooks her own breakfast!

motowbrowne
05-10-2011, 12:11 AM
My girlfriend and I used about 8 or 9 gallons last year. We shared quite a bit since we live out west most of the year and it's quite a delicacy out here, but I figure we go through a quart every two weeks or so just in coffee and on pancakes and cereal, etc. We pretty much use it as our only sweetener, maybe a little honey, but when you can use something you made instead of sugar, I think that's the only way to go. Our neighbor was selling maple sugar for 5.25/lb this year, so I bought 40lbs of that to use instead of granulated white sugar. I'm pretty excited to never use white sugar again; really I see no reason to when maple is so good.

Bottoms up,
Ryan

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-10-2011, 05:07 AM
My girlfriend and I used about 8 or 9 gallons last year. We shared quite a bit since we live out west most of the year and it's quite a delicacy out here, but I figure we go through a quart every two weeks or so just in coffee and on pancakes and cereal, etc. We pretty much use it as our only sweetener, maybe a little honey, but when you can use something you made instead of sugar, I think that's the only way to go. Our neighbor was selling maple sugar for 5.25/lb this year, so I bought 40lbs of that to use instead of granulated white sugar. I'm pretty excited to never use white sugar again; really I see no reason to when maple is so good.

Bottoms up,
Ryan

I'm with you motow, use syrup for everything. I hope your "etc." is ice cream and etc.:D

motowbrowne
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, ice cream, glazes for meat, or just right from the bottle, there's no wrong way to eat it. Last year I kept a jersey cow and I'll tell you that making ice cream with her milk and our syrup with a couple of good local eggs was one of my favorite methods to use it. You just can't buy food that good, even if one could afford it.

Dill
05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
We go through 1/2 a gallon per year in our house, but my parents have a pt/week habit, my brother is good for another gallon at least, Inlaws a gallon etc. We have been keeping an xls spreadsheet for who we sell syrup too and it seems like we have just as many zeros as cash sales.

adk1
05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
no doubt. I dont expect to sell any for a few years at least.

CBOYER
05-10-2011, 05:00 PM
i have made 10 gallons last year, and doesnt sold any, give to family and friends, and of course keep at least 3 gallons for home. we are 3 at home, and start to have a visitor for our 17 yrs daughter that eat like schrek..:mrgreen:

red maples
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I am guessing 2 gallons maybe a little more. my wife and I don't use it much during the week. but kids will will have it with break fast on waffles I use it on weekends!!

SPILEDRIVER
05-10-2011, 06:28 PM
10 gallons,use for lots of things besides regular syrup use.....lot of baking(instead of sugar)cure my own meats like bacon, ham and sausage(butchering a hog this weekend gonna use a cracked pepper/maple sugar cure on it)

GramaCindy
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
10 gallons,use for lots of things besides regular syrup use.....lot of baking(instead of sugar)cure my own meats like bacon, ham and sausage(butchering a hog this weekend gonna use a cracked pepper/maple sugar cure on it)

OMG! That sounds really good!!!:D

SDdave
05-10-2011, 07:50 PM
... or just right from the bottle, there's no wrong way to eat it.

And my wife thinks I'm wierd from taking swigs out of the bottle. I'm glad I'm with the right crowd.:cool:

SDdave

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-10-2011, 08:27 PM
no doubt. I dont expect to sell any for a few years at least.

after you start making some we will talkk about selling it:D luv u ADK

Sugarmaker
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Some how we have never ran out of syrup for ourselves or the kids, or the neighbors, or the friends, or fellow workers. So maybe we use 5 gallon? Just a guess.
I have never been called a sugarist. Still thinking on that one:) any one have sugarist as a handle one here yet? Hummmmmmmm?
Regards,
Chris

3rdgen.maple
05-10-2011, 10:39 PM
after you start making some we will talkk about selling it:D luv u ADK

Hey now make up your mind You cant tell both of us you love us. Cheater:rolleyes:
I use to much. Between sugar, cream, candy , bbq sauce, mustard, glazing, baking putting it on the breakfast table , in milk, on ice cream, over the cereal, on cottage cheese, in baked beans, and about a 100 other things I would have to guess at 6 plus gallons for my house alone. Man thats 384 dollars in lost syrup sales for me. What am I doing?????

Haynes Forest Products
05-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Have you ever wonderd why the pillow is stuck to the side of your face in the morning and then you remember about USE NO. 101 :o........STFUC

talahi maple products
05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I have 8 sisters,1 brother all grown with familys, My wife has 2 sisters & a brother, with inlaws, elderly @ church, neighbors,& friends we use about 25 gal per year . Thats what my Dad did & that's what I do. :)

maple flats
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
We use about 6 gal ourselves plus family and friend gifts usually brings it up to 12-15 gal. We had 4 kids, and 3 or them have families. We add some to everything from a ham to watermelon. Most things that call for sugar get syrup.

adk1
05-11-2011, 06:21 PM
I would imagine that we will do the same. If I have it at my disposal we will use it constantly.

Butch
05-13-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't know about you guys out East but here in Michigan in order to have more than just a few ounces on hand we have to get a "Medical Maple Syrup" card...

Ausable
05-13-2011, 06:49 AM
I don't know about you guys out East but here in Michigan in order to have more than just a few ounces on hand we have to get a "Medical Maple Syrup" card...

Yeh Butch - My "Michigan Medical Maple Syrup Card" has paid for itself already. Was pulled over and they found an open bottle of Maple Syrup on the seat of my pickup (Upright of course) and was gonna write me up for having an open natural sweetner in the truck - I flashed my Card and they sent me on my way - Whew - aint easy being a Maple Syrup Addict - especially in Michigan.........