PDA

View Full Version : Tubing ???

3rdgen.maple
05-08-2011, 09:29 AM
How would you guys lay this out? Where the releaser is going to be located there is a flattop hill off to the southeast about 15 feet in height and about 30 feet from the releaser site. At the top of this flat I want to pick up another 50 to 60 taps on 3/4 mainline which would be a branch line. When this section of woods is completed I will have the big mainline running at a 5% slope through the creek valley that will pick up 400 to 500 taps for this spring and has the potential to gradually increase that up to 1500 when I get the ability to process that much sap. So the question is with that branch line should I do which of the folowing.
1 maintain a 5 % slope up on the flat section and then where the line meets the edge of the hill increase the pipe size and slope it down to the releaser.
2 maintain a 5% slope all the way to the releaser which would put that line about 10 feet in the air above the releaser and then 90 it straight down.

If I can get max vac up there great but if not just getting those 50 to 60 taps online is a bonus as obviously my main goal is the 1500 tap mainline. What do you guys think?

Haynes Forest Products
05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I would go with what is convenient and run the lines as you would gravity and remember sap runs down hill:) If sap is pulled from the trees with vacuum and enters a line that has any slope to it at all isn't it going to flow down hill? Dumping into the releaser is better than sucking it up hill to the tank. I might be wrong but have you ever seen a water level? if the woods are higher than the releaser and it still has a lower section getting to the tank who cares its still getting the sap under pressure from the woods.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-08-2011, 10:17 AM
3rdgen,
I'd run a consistent steep slope rather than a slight slope and then straight down. If it goes straight down and then (I assume) elbows into the releaser, I think the turbulence when it hits bottom (the elbow) will cause problems with the vacuum. I think I would run inch line to help limit turbulence as it is pretty steep but it is short so shouldn't be very costly. My 2 cents

3rdgen.maple
05-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I believe that is the plan Im going with Thompson. Ran out of mainline today so got to get some more. It sure is fun working in the woods again on tubing, minus the bugs of course. Thanks guys for the advice.

maple flats
05-09-2011, 04:48 AM
bugs, you've got bugs too? I thought they were all here for a convention!

3rdgen.maple
05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Flats I came to the conclusion that if you make syrup your going to get eaten by bugs no matter where you are. We after all are the sweetest bunch around..