PDA

View Full Version : Maine inspection requirements???

Flat47
05-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Here's a question to all of you Mainers:

What exactly is the Dept of Ag looking for during your annual inspection?

Many have urged us to sell syrup and we're contemplating it, but want to know what we may be over-looking. I've read through the Umaine Co-Op Extension's guide that includes Dept of Ag standards, but to me it reads more like "this is how it should be done," not "this is what you have to do."

gmcooper
05-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Flat,
Sounds like you understand things perfectly! With all the budget cut backs in the Dept of Ag the inspectors, the ones who did maple inspections are no longer there and the few that are left apparently (from what other producers say) do not know much about sugarhouses and maple production. Follow the guidelines and do not skimp on clean and keeping syrup clean and free of any contaminents. Yearly water tests are required unless you are on city water. You can call Kathy Hopkins at UM Cooperative extension office in Skowhegan for more info. If you call the dept of Ag you might get someone who will have you be setup the same standards as if you were a major food processor or the other extreme where a water test and a roof are the only requirement. It's good you are checking and keep in mind that standards are going to get tougher in the very near future so don't start yourself at the bare minimum. When your ready apply for license and an inspector will get in touch for an inspection. You might even get a potato inspector.
Good luck

Flat47
05-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I wouldn't be surprised to get a potato inspector. They're around a lot since we're in potato country.
I'm curious, though, about the issue of running water. I don't have running water in the sugarhouse. My sugarhouse is directly adjacent to my residence. When I need to wash bottles or use the bathroom, I go inside my home. I use wet wipes to wash my hands when needed when I'm in the sugarhouse. When I wash my tanks and evaporator, I run a hose from the house to the sugarhouse. Does that cover the bases, or I am required to have running water in the sugarhouse.

gmcooper
05-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Many do not have running water in sugarhouse. I'm sure they would prefer it if everyone did. Unless they have changed you can carry hot and cold water from the house to clean with. They might check to see if your hot water is up to temp (140 maybe?).

Revi
05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I think they like it if you have a poured concrete floor with a drain. We built our sugarhouse and they liked the fact that it was on a slab.

western mainer
05-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I just had an inspector here on Friday. 110 on the water temp. She was very happy to see four walls. Of what she said that there are a lot of outside operations around. We had the inspector come up to tell us what we needed to do in the kitchen, that's in a room in the sugar house. No pets in the kitchen and she said also no pets around evaporator, but because of all the outside operations they wouldn't write us up if there were pets in there.
Brian