PDA

View Full Version : BBQ grill turned canner

Flat47
05-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I started this last fall and just finished some of the details on it.

I picked up an old gas bar-b-que grill at the dump. It was the type with the grill in the center and a shelf on one side and a side burner on the other side. I returned the center grill section to the dump and reworked the burner to sit in the center of the stand. I cut down the other side shelf to be the lower "bottle" shelf for the canner. I had to add some supports under the burner, but all in all it was a really simple job. I re-used the stainless control panel from the grill to hide some of the edges. I took the knobs out and cut it down to fit. That's the piece above the shelf in front of the burner. I used it this past season without the lower shelf and supports and it worked great. The paint was still wet when I took the pics, so some surfaces look blotchy.

Thanks to everybody here on the Trader for your ideas. I kind of collected and copied ideas from several examples shown here over the past few years.

Haynes Forest Products
05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Thats what Im talking about making something new out so something JUNKED. Good job!!

Bucket Head
05-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Now that you've posted pics of it, don't get back on here to gripe about how your phone is ringing off the hook with guys wanting to order one!

Thats a nice job. It looks like something you could market. You might want to visit the dump more often or start checking out garage sales...

Steve

Sugarmaker
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
flat47,
Nice fab work on the canner. I built one 10 years ago, similar idea. Ours has canned about 800-900 gallon of syrup. You did a good job of bringing something that was used up and discarded back into service. By the way I just pulled the big stainless propane grill off the deck to do some clean up and repairs and I almost went and measured my canning pan to see if it would fit?:)
Regards,
Chris

Flat47
05-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all of the kind words. My wife worries when I go on dump runs because I'm almost always bringing stuff back home.

I just realized I put this thread in "Bottling" I meant to put it in "Homemade Equipment." If the mods want to move the thread, please do. My apologies.

Haynes Forest Products
05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
It is a bottler right:) Heck I get made fun of in all the threads not just under IDIOTS THAT MAKE SYRUP THREAD