PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Line Length

adk1
05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I will be installing on gravity. My trees are sparatic. Question is, If I have to run a 200' section of lateral line to pick up say 20 trees, would this be ok? I dont ever expect to goto vac. OR, shoudl I try to maintain 100' sections?

Secondly, is it ok to add a Y to a lateral to pick up adjacent trees rather than running another lateral from the mainline? I have a few clusters of trees that are just out of reach of a drop but I would ahve to run another 70' section of lateral just to pick them up. Lets say 4-5 trees.

3rdgen.maple
05-05-2011, 09:03 AM
200 feet is fine and the y will work. Remember your on gravity so long lats and lots of taps is ideal.

adk1
05-05-2011, 09:18 AM
ok,I thought that was gonna be the answer, just double checking. Will be running my mainline soon and then figuring out all of my laterals etc. Will flag each end tree and number each lateral picking up each tree etc. Think I will also run each lat, add all my fittings, then I will coil each lat back up and leave zip tied to the mainline till February. Still doign some thinning work. Anyone else done this?

3rdgen.maple
05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Why would you take your laterals down?

adk1
05-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Becuase I am still thinnning out, alot left to do. Plus I have ALOT of deer in this area and I know that they will damage them. Thats is what I am thinking anyways. We are only talking maybe 20 max

Yellzee
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm taking mine down this year as I've had so much damage from squirrels, deer, turkeys, etc. that I keep having to basically replace them all.

however, I am very confident I wont be able to figure out where I had them running even with pictures and the hole thing will turn into a disaster anyways...:lol:

adk1
05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
gotta flag the end tree. Put a number on that flagging. then add a flagging with the same number to the mainline where is started from. that is what I intend on doing

3rdgen.maple
05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Mine will stay up. If one or two get damaged so be it. It will be alot faster and easier to fix a coupl lats then rehang them all. ADK1 if you have that many deer you need me to come up and rim the herd up a little for ya. lol

adk1
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
mostly does, which can only be hunted with a 2 week bow season and 1 week muzzeloader season. But yeah, I take one out of the heard every year, usually with the stick shooter

CBOYER
05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey 3rdgen, leave their deers alone..:lol:

3rdgen.maple
05-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey 3rdgen, leave their deers alone..:lol:

His in NY so his deer are my deer lol.

brookledge
05-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Yellzee
Before you take the laterals down in addition to numbering the laterals, take a can of spray paint and every place the lateral touches each tree spray it with a small spot. Then when you go to put it back up the spot on the lateral needs to match the spot on the tree. I have done this and found it helps a lot. With out doing it I never can remember which side of each tree I went around and if you don't put it up exactly the same way it will be a little short or long.
Keith

adk1
05-07-2011, 05:55 AM
thats a great idea.