PDA

View Full Version : Shipping drums

ennismaple
05-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm looking into shipping some drums of syrup by freight but I have no idea what is a reasonable cost for shipping a 35 gallon drum. Has anyone done this, what kind of cost am I looking at (per km I assume) and is there anything special I need to look out for to avoid problems?

Thanks.

BryanEx
05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I did long distance trucking for 1 year. Shipping will be based on weight and distance but will vary greatly between carriers. Shop around big time if you have the numbers for both and are flexible in delivery times. Cross border shipments are a whole other issue I can get into if need be but I suspect this is a Canadian LTL (less than load) shipment? If you recall regular 5 ton or larger trucks in your area, call these guys first as they already have a local distribution network set up.

- Bryan

BryanEx
05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Forgot to mention... I know you have a forklift available but if your customer requires a lift gate on the truck to receive the skid, that is usually an extra charge if you need it guaranteed.

3rdgen.maple
05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
When I ship equipment I can get price breaks if the equipment is on skids for the ease of moving and also non lift gates are cheaper and of course loading docks gets breaks as well. Depending on whats already on the trailer and where its going they go by size or weight. Best thing to do is start making phone calls but unless your going to ship alot Im afraid your going to take a huge hit.

tuckermtn
05-05-2011, 04:54 AM
might try uship.com Think they cover Canada also....

DaveB
05-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Depending on how far it is, consider driving the pallet to your freight haulers terminal. It will save you a fee and make it cheaper for your recipient.

I use freightquote.com when shipping pallets (including drums) and they can give you a range of prices. Not sure if they cover Canada or not. At least you'll know you're getting the best price.

Dave