PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help with a Small Brothers Candy Machine

GeneralStark
05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I am new to making candy with a machine but I scored a cheap used one and am now beginning to experiment with it. I have made several good pieces of candy but the syrup is crystalizing too fast and clogging the outlet of the trough and gumming up the auger before I can make more than 5 or 6 small maple leafs.

I am using the leader instructions found here: http://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/sipple-sugar-maker-instructions.pdf

So. I have been heating to 244F, then cooling to 170F in the pig and then placing the pig on the machine.

I just found these guideline by Stephen Childs posted here: http://www.nnyagdev.org/maplefactsheets/CMB%20208%20Molded%20Sugar%20Candy.pdf

He suggests not letting it cool too much when using a machine to reduce the risk of the syrup crystallizing to fast in the trough.

My question is, should I cool to 200F for better results? Any other advice?

I have been using fancy syrup but have not yet tested for invert.

maple2
05-04-2011, 05:11 PM
we cook to 242. cool to 220.you may be leaving in the auger too long

Amber Gold
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
You're letting it cool too long. Heat to 242F, let it sit for 10 min., then start making candy. You're also probably letting it sit in the auger too long. Put a good amount in the trough and turn the machine. When you start getting some color you're getting close...wait until you get the first inch or two a lighter color, then start filling the molds...don't worry about it being too runny because it'll continue to crystalize in the molds and harden right up. You should be able to maintain a steady stream coming in and filling molds just as fast. It takes some practice, but you can fill molds pretty quick. If you find, it's crystalizing too much in the trough, have a large mold handy (something like 1.5-2oz size) so you can quickly dump out the trough before it turns into a rock...been there.