PDA

View Full Version : Steam in Salisbury

Parker
02-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Brought a sap bucket and refractometer to Hill with me this morning,,Tapped a tree 30' from the sugarhouse when I got there (might be a planted sweet tree) at 5pm there was 1 1/2 gallons of 3.5% sap in the bucket,,boiling it as I type...

brookledge
02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Watch out for the wall paper its starting to peel off. :lol: :lol:
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-05-2006, 04:57 PM
post edited

Parker
02-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Dosent always run when the weather is right,,remember last year? certenly have missed some runs,,but time will tell,,how many taps are you putting out this year? Plus if you tap early its over for you early,,,,,what do I know I am new at this,,,That syrup sure was good though.....Good luck to everyone...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Parker,

No need to worry, too early yet! :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-05-2006, 07:40 PM
post edited

markcasper
02-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Kevin--The trees will never run good with 2+ feet of frost in the ground. That was my problem last year and when the frost did finally break, it was way too warm for too long to coax any more sap. Had we gotten normal tempuratures the fist 10 days of April, I think it would have turned out a good year.

In '03 it was the same way over here. Very deep frost, more than last season. I started tapping March 14th that year and only had gathered a few hundred gallons by March 23rd. After this though, we had perfect temps. and it was a banner year for me. The frost has to break and if it don't, there ain't gonna be much sap. My neighbor who has bags has a saying: When you can't get to the trees, thats when the sap runs the best.

What he means is that its real muddy due to frost departure and thats when they RUN. Mark

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-05-2006, 08:12 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2006, 08:17 PM
We had more frost in the ground two years ago than I remember in a long time. Probably close to a foot and it was one of the worst seasons I have seen. :?

Sugarmaker
02-05-2006, 08:19 PM
No frost in Albion area, ground has stayed soft all winter. But we do have a lot of moisture in the ground. I agree that we cant make syrup unless we have some mud.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2006, 08:25 PM
No frost here either and with the snow we got today, hopefully that will help keep the frost away. Some of the best years I had, mud was almost non existent, but there is more mud and water this year than I have ever seen. Lot of rain and warm temps last 5 weeks. I thought last year was the worst, but it pales in comparision to this year. 8O

markcasper
02-06-2006, 12:44 AM
I only have a few inches of frost on top now........but its going down fast now! We lost all of our snow on the south slopes and ridge tops, only an inch or two of snow on the north slopes. The forecast is for roller coaster temps below freezing for the next 2 weeks here. I hope, but am afraid I am going to be in the same shape again.....no snow and cold weather=fast, penetrating frost.

Kevin.....why keep dwelling on sap loss? Seems like you just can't get off the subject! What are you going to do about it?? You are going to give yourself an ulcer!

I cannot speak for New Hampshire. Parkers tree ran more in a few hours than mine has in the last 2 weeks. You fellas are further south. I did not miss much and like Parker said, the earlier you tap, the earlier you are done.

Most years, I make way more syrup in April than I do in March. Would it be wise to tap the middle-20th of January and expect them to be running strong yet in April? You tell me. That would be expecting 10 to 12 weeks out of a taphole.

Kevin....Why has my red maple only ran me a cup of sap??

Mark

Parker
02-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty much finished phase 1 of the Hill set up today 550? taps,,butiful trees,,,big crowns,,the tap ran 3/4 gallon of 2.5% sap,,has to be a sweet tree?, it was only 34-36 deg. with a strong S.W. wind...I have GOTTA get back to work,,to much fun sugaring...

Parker
02-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Forgot to mention,,got a very nice tank form HARDMAPLE sunday,,It was only 19 miles from my house!!,,15'10"x52"x2.5" how many gallons??? THANKS

nhmaple48
02-06-2006, 06:44 PM
What make tank?

maple flats
02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
recheck your measurements. Is one really 2.5"?, can't calculate if wrong input. Is it a rectangle, flat bottom, round bottom, need the exact shape.

Parker
02-07-2006, 04:33 AM
The tank is a round bottom , open top, built in a wooded cage, G.H. Grimm,, 2.5',,,,a big rectangel

maple flats
02-07-2006, 06:01 AM
assuming the ends are slightly oval (30" H x 52" W) I used 28" as the radius ( averaged 30 and 26) I end up with about 1015 gal. This is if my mem. serves me that a cu ft is about 7.5 gal. If anyone sees a flaw in my calculations let me know. I calculated the cu ft vol of 1/2 a cylinder and then mult. by 7.5 gal
Dave

nhmaple48
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
The 64 Grimm catalogue lists a30 bbl. that is54x30x14'9 inches.

Parker
02-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the info! I think it will work for Hill,,It will be a job making a rugged pad for it, (bad spot),,,still have to get it painted,,,still need to redo the elec. entrance in Hill, run a dry line from the releaser to the pump,,
Rte.11 is ready to tap,,Hoit road is ready to tap,,Putney hill is ready to tap,,Foultons needs a littel more work but getting there. I might even have time to get Hattens in the center of Salisbury set up properly this year,,,I will have to say one thing about having warm weather and no snow,,,you can fly around in the woods!!

Parker
02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Listening to the weather radio as I type,,,,WHAT, A BLIZZARD? Flew up to Hill this afternoon and got everything picked up,,,what a differance a week can make,,good logging too :twisted:

Parker
02-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Wow did I ever miss a great run yesterday,,Went to bascoms in the AM,,they had 11000 tapped and running well, went up to Hill to finish all the loose ends up,,I use eyebolts to anchor my mainline,,sap was spewing from the wounds,,,,the single bucket was full by the end of the day,,will tap ASAP.

markcasper
02-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Its 0 degrees right now in Menomonie, WI. Supossed to get -20 below tonight here. Mark

Parker
02-19-2006, 04:27 AM
Was able to get 6 of us together and set the tank in Hill (In a tough spot down by a brook),,got the dry line up from the vac. pump in the sugarhouse to the releaser,,need to build my pump starter and set up pump,,we then went to Rte.11 and moved that tank so it is lower,,went back to the sugarhouse and got the evap. set up to go,,Gearpump came over fri. and set up the gas for the big finisher (THANKS),,pretty much ready to tap,,waiting on the weather,,(-5 here now),GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Parker
02-23-2006, 04:00 AM
Got my priorities straight yesterday,,,skipped work and went tapping with Steve,,,got Hoit raod (400),,Foultons (100),,Putney Hill (325) tapped,,Steve is gonna do Hattans (100) today,,Got the order from Graingers yesterday,,with that stuff will set up thermometer run vacume in Hill,,,fix blower on evap,,install the Vac. gauges in boosters and lines,,put steel pulleys on 2 of the vac. pump units,,I know there is cold comming but had to start sometime!!! GOOD LUCK

Parker
02-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Extended forcast says cold for the next 10 days,,was going to finish tapping this weekend but cant see the point if it will be staying like this,,,,,so I guess I will set up MORE TUBING this weekend,,,add on RTE.11 where there is vacume,,and close to home,,,,

Parker
02-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Steve added onto the mainline at Hattens, got another 40,,I added 65 at rte.11 and repaired a bunch of wind storm damage,,gonna have to build another booster for rte.11 as the one there was destroyed by a falling branch...

Parker
03-04-2006, 04:16 AM
MAN<<<it was COLD yesterday,,with the wind and all,,got a bunch of little things done in the woods//repaires,,we are going to try to finish tapping this weekend,,,get the vac. online in Hill,,,the sugarhouse is still a mess,,lots of little things to do,,gotta clean all the tanks,,mabey move the big green tank above the sugarhouse............we will start tapping in Hill then onto rte.11

Parker
03-04-2006, 04:30 AM
WOW- just looked at the extended forcast for this area,,,here it comes,,better get my butt in gear!

Parker
03-05-2006, 04:00 AM
Got Hill tapped by 12:30,,3 of us,,started to put the vacume together,,why is it one can never have all the little pieces you need no matter how long you have to plan for an assembly like this??? I had a milk pump specilist come over yesterday,(electrical is not my bag) he got us on the right track after 5 hours of cleaning,,rewiring , blowing breakers,,cooking thermostat controls,,gonna try to finish up today,,I am going to head out early and try to get some releasers in place,,ect,,,Steve and his brother are going to tap Rte.11 today,,,that will be everything,,,,would like to add 300? more during the season,,,we will see,,extended forcast looks pretty ideal around here,,,good luck everyone

John Burton
03-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Well as they say in poker i'm all in. tapped the last 50 after lunch 90% were running some were really crusing I'll guess well see what happens next.

Parker
03-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Why does it always take 10x longer to do things than I plan on????? yesterday Steve and I were all day at Rte.11 plubiming in the new booster and setting up the releaser to the new tank location..it did come out looking good though,,sap ran a little,,,,this AM we are going to Hill first thing to finish there,,,still lots to do with what should be a good run looming tomorow...stay after it...hope it is going well for everyone

markcasper
03-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Parker, you are not the only one.....I figure whatever I plan on getting done, only half of it will. Mark

sweetwoodmaple
03-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Yes, the 2x rule is always in effect (takes at least twice as long to do what you planned).

Same happens in my job.

Parker
03-09-2006, 04:18 AM
The vacume system in hill seems to work like a charm (had to change the vacume regulator)...only problem,,can pull only 15"merc. ,,,at that level the 3 hp mtr. draws 20 amps,,and the mtr. is rated for 20 amps,,,I would really like to get 18-20",,,but it is pulling and it is on a thermostat,(mabey get a bigger moter some time),,I was suprised that after you shut the moter off it takes 5-6 minutes for the tubing to loose the vacume,,I thought my other set ups lost there vacume faster than that...Steve took his wheeler way out to the last taps on the branch lines and tested the taps,,15" on the end taps,,happy there,, went over to Hoit road and raised the lines into the tank , set up the releaser,,,,Today we will try to get the gas pumps going on Rte.11 and Hoit road,,,did not run too much yesterday,,have mabey 300? gallons in all the tanks,,,,,GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parker
03-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Got the sp-11 set up on hoit road,,the line there was frozen((have to do more grade work on that line)),,took a little longer to get the surge 76 up and running on rte.11 but it came into it,,have some leaks on rte.11 to work on,,pulling 14" with all the line valves open,,17" with them shut at the releaser,,hope to work on that today,,,did not run here much at all yesterday,,pretty warm out now,,mabey today,,still have tanks to clean,,,ect.. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Parker
03-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Collected 1800 gallons of sap,,boiled from 5pm till 2 am, made around 30 gallons of fancy,, having some trouble regulating the level of sap in the flue pan and syrup pan,, I am firing every 8 mins,,but I think I am still getting uneven heat,,,had a pretty amazing boil,,sap was running pretty well today when I started the pumps,,will collect and boil tommrow AM,,good luck!

powerdub
03-12-2006, 09:34 PM
You go Parker, I will talk to Marty and see how his schedule is. I would love to get over there and check your place out.

Parker
03-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Was just filling the front pan after washing it yesterday,,had the lighter in my hand to start the fire and I herd DRIP,DRIP,DRIP,,,,,a bad leak around the thermometer fitting,,,,drained the pan,,dried it up, figured I could re-solder the small crack around the fitting,,,wound up with the fitting on the floor,,,,1800 gallons of sap above the evaporator (would not have had 600 without vacume over the last 2 days),,,got a fellow comming at 10 this AM to fix the problem,,,,,,have some major vac. leaks on RTE.11 to fix,,,,GOOD LUCK

maple flats
03-15-2006, 05:45 AM
To solder the fittings on a pan I found a soldering iron works best. You should also have some flux on hand for stainless (avail from leader). Do not try a torch, I have done it with success but it is very difficult and you risk warping the pan. I find an iron works good. Mine is electric but ones heated by a torch will also work. Doing it with an iron you tin the iron and then heat the area with extra solder at the spot needed, when the heat is right it will flow right and you can smooth it with the iron as you work. Make sure area is clean first and use the flux. Wash the residue flux off after soldering real well as it will pit the SS if left on. Good luck. For an iron try this link http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=949&PMT4NO=5663700&PMT4TP=*ITPD&PMITEM=00259275 I find a 150 thru about 250 watt works good. They are no cheap but if taken care of will last a real long time. I am using one made in 1930's and still works good.

Parker
03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Just got in from making 33 gallons of dark A ,,started the evap. at 1,,If you ever have a problem with a pan and cant fix it yourself call BOB LAPOINT,,New Boston, N.H. had BOTH my themometer fittings fixed in about 30 minutes and fixed another bad spot on my syrip pan,,,going to get started on another 400 in Hill tommrow,,good luck too all

Parker
03-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Started the Hill expansion yesterday,,hope to make tracks up there today,,I was surprised at how much sap ran yesterday for as cold as it was,,and I did not start the vacume pumps,,,will start them today on my way up there,,,

Parker
03-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Too cold to start pumps yesterday,,should have 250 more taps in Hill by the end of toady,,working on steep ground,,stopped at a sugarhouse in Bristol on the way home,,fellow was running a 2x6,,said they had 500 taps and had made 26 gallons so far 8O

Parker
03-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Wound up with 203 new taps in Hill befor we ran out of supplies,,have been thinking I was forgetting something since the last boil but could not think of what????was in the sugarhouse (putting my Mr. Heater in the arch) last night and rememberd,,I never drained the bottom of the pre-heater befor we got this cold snap,,,well needless to say it froze solid and pushed a fitting apart,,looks like I get to try my hand at soldering agine.........

Parker
03-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Got the pre heater removed from its housing and thawed out but my small propane torch dose not seem to have enough heat to warm the whole piece to solder it back together,,think Ill try my cutting torches today,,,,,,pretty stiff breeze yesterday,,might have gotten up to 32 yesterday but with the breeze it felt like 20,,no sap here,,,,,

gearpump
03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Parker, go to the hardware store and get a bottle of mapp gas for your torch. It works great for heating large pipes and also soldering pipes that might have a little water in them. The cutting torches might have too might heat for soldering!

Marty

Parker
03-22-2006, 04:50 AM
Mapp gas is awsome!!!! Just dont try it like I did with a propane torch head,,,Big fireball,,luckily only minor facial hair loss,think I got the preheater fixed,,need to test this AM,,got a small run yesterday starting around noon,,,had to fix the surge 76 (pulley loosend up),,Ray got the international serviced yesterday,,2-speed works agine :D ,nice with 1200 gallons of sap to have that working,,changed oil,,fuel filt,,checked Hoit road and rte.11 with Vac. running found many of the spiles had loosend in the spile extensions and were leaking vacume,,,looks like great weather for the next 2 weeks GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Parker
03-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Just a little too cold to run much yesterday,,collected 800 gallons,,would have been 1200 if it wernt for all the ice in the tanks,,got to head out and start boiling,,get rid of this sap and wash up for the next run,,,Steve has been up in Hill adding more taps,,,2 speed in truck got stuck between ranges then blew the fuse as I was heading out to collect,,,must be a dead short somewhere,,,I love wiring!

Parker
03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
2 speed still not working,, the sap I collected yesterday that I boiled today was 3.5%!!!Made 35? gallons B,,Tanks full,,wash rig out then boil tommrow,,,guessing I have 3500 gallons of sap on hand

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-23-2006, 09:40 PM
At 3% sugar, that's 122 gallon of syrup. Go for it buddy, looks like it might be a great year for you! :D

saphead
03-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey Parker how do like trying to feed that hungry wood burner?I fired for 10 hrs. straight today with only a couple of breaks while someone else fired for a round or two,can't remember how many times I reset the 5 min. timer, but keeping a steady boil was worth the trouble,we made 160 gals. of light.Drank a whole lot of water too... ok a couple of brews later in the day.Happy boilin'

Parker
03-25-2006, 04:53 AM
Washed the pans in the AM befor I started with the fresh sap,,after we collected everything we had 2800 gallons at 2.3%,,made 32 gallons of fancy in 10 hours, still have quite a bit of sap from yesterday to boil,,did not run as much yesterday,,but got to be over 1500? to collect,,see there is frost on the ground this AM so good run today???,,,,,Yeah it takes ALOT of 4' wood to go 10-11 hours,,very busy firing and drawing,,,,a steamaway would have its advantages,,,,been drinking 1 gallon of water a day,,too tired to drink to many beers (wich is not like me at all 8O ),,GOOD LUCK

powerdub
03-25-2006, 09:05 PM
I saw Marty today and put the bug in his ear about the visit to your place. I hope the mountain idles back soon enough to get him a day off on the weekend. I gotta see your set up.

John Burton
03-25-2006, 10:54 PM
oh drink water... I guess too much jack daniels too littlle high quality h20 too many cramps weve gathered 700 gal in two and a half days boiling almost non stop to keep up loving every minute. sure am glad to have that filter press now . dont even want to think about the old way any more best 1000 I ever spent

Parker
03-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Started with over 2000 gallons of sap at 11am,,finished in the sugarhouse at 11:30pm,,got everything except for the 16 gallons on the canner in jugs,I have lost count of what we have made but must be around 150 gallons,gonna need more jugs after today I think,,off to collect

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Good clear sapping is better drinking than anything else! :D

Parker
03-27-2006, 05:57 AM
Finished starting the vacume pumps and collecting by noon,,started boiling at 1pm had 1700 gallons of 2.3%,,made 35 gallons by 10:30,,have 15 gallons left in the small canner and only 2 ,5 gallon jugs left to put it in,, 8O have a few old barrels but want to wait till the bitter end to use them,,shut off the pumps at 11pm,,not hardley anything ran yesterday,,Yes Brandon,,I do love to drink the sap,,but water works better for me for some reason,,,when are you comming up for the day to run the evaporator?? :D GOOD LUCK

Parker
03-28-2006, 05:02 AM
After I collected everything yesterday I was surprised to see I had 1100 gallons of sap,,fired up at 2 finished by 7:30,,made 20 gallons of dark amber,,last night when I shut off the pumps I really did not have much in the tanks,,,I will collect today and try to wash the tanks as I empty them,,,hope for a run today as it is frosty out now,,forcast looks bad for sugaring,,,,,,,,still would like to make another 300 gallons,,,,,,COME ON ALBERTA CLIPPER,,LETS SEE THAT DEEP FREEZE,,

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-28-2006, 06:42 AM
post edited

Parker
03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
By the time we had everything collected we had 1200 gallons,,made 27 gallons of some real nice dark amber,,wood pile not looking as big as it might,,,,,,,,we need some COLD weather,,good luck

Parker
03-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Collected 1900 gallons yesterday started boiling at 11:30,,done at 11pm,made 33 gallons of B,evap was smoking between the arch and pan badley right as I got to the first draw,,then every time I fired bad smoke around the base of the stack and between pan and arch,,let the fire die down a little,,turned off the blower and too the back door off of the evap...my construction mesh in the stack base was totaly plugged up with soot,,brushed it off and I was back in business,,,evap is only doing around 190-200 GPH,,time to brush the flues and the bottom of the pan,,,,weather report looks bad but I am in it till I make buddy syrup,,,I havent herd any frogs and the reds around here arnt budded yet,,but it does not take many 70 deg days!!!GOOD LUCK

Mike
03-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Parker!!! How did the releaser work out for you???

Parker
03-30-2006, 09:25 PM
The releaser I got from you still lokks and works like new,,it has its hands full in Hill,,too many taps for it BUT it hasent really run this year. collected 975 gallons started at 2:30 done at 8:30 made 21 gallons of B,,,,got REAL warm here today,,,never seen a spring when you did not get a little snow,,,,,,,come on ALBERTA CLIPPER,,,, :twisted:

Parker
04-01-2006, 04:37 AM
73 deg. on march 31!!!!! not so great,,hill ran 250 gallons rte.11 ran 325,, did not boil it yet as I dont think letting it sit will affect the grade,,,,hoit road, putney hill are to the point where I cant seem to pull more than 8-10 HG(a sure sine the end is near,,could just about wacth the buds on the reds swell yesterday,,,,time to dust off the wood processor,,,I will clean everything up and wait and see.......GOOD LUCK to all

Parker
04-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Got a good start on my wood for next year,,the Shaws came over and we split around 8-10 cords of 4' wood up,,collected everything I had and started boiling the 925 gallons at 4,,definatly commercial,Made around 20 gallons by 10pm,going to wash everything up and hope it runs a little this comming week (looks like it might),,I really want to hit at least 450,,Now I think I am around 298,,GOOD LUCK

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Parker,

What do you split the 4' wood with??

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-02-2006, 08:20 AM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-02-2006, 09:53 AM
post edited

sweetwoodmaple
04-02-2006, 12:50 PM
...bait shop??? :lol: :oops: What is that?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-02-2006, 12:59 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Kevin,

It's obvious that you have way too much time on your hands this year! 8O You really need to get back into syruping next year! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

sweetwoodmaple
04-02-2006, 02:32 PM
That's what I thought you meant. :oops:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-02-2006, 05:01 PM
post edited:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-02-2006, 07:50 PM
But think of all the stress relief I have given you making your mind work! :D :wink:

Parker
04-03-2006, 05:08 AM
The Shaws have a 3 point hitch, 4 foot wood splitter, hooked to a case 1896 (120HP) tractor,, works pretty well,,3-4 of us at it all day,,Had the wood cut ahead of time,, went to portsmouth yesterday,,everything south of me is BUDDED OUT!!!! **** 70 deg. weather,,28 deg. here now,,might run a little,,saw all the people that tap by me pulling taps yesterday on the way home,,Last night went to rte 11,,saw no buds there yet,,,on the way to alexandria this AM to pick up Ray I will start the pump in Hill and see what happens,,might start the others if it looks like it will run,,,Ill wash the tanks frist,,,,,,,"THE FUTCHER IS UNCERTIN AND THE END IS ALWAYS NEAR" 8O

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Parker,

I assumed 3 point hitch, but wanted to make sure. How many taps do you have this year??

Parker
04-04-2006, 04:43 AM
I had around 2000,,,,about 1500 on vacume,,I have to say I am not happy with my total,,,,I would have liked to make a quart per tap,,especillay considering I was useing vacume and the spile extensions,,,,I cant see where the extensions helped at all,,the bushes dried up in the order they were tapped,,hoit road and putney hill look like they are done,(tapped feb. 22),,no run there yesterday,,I am going to wait on pulling the taps and bringing the pumps home till the end of the week but......Rte.11 ran about 175 gallons of rude looking cloudy sap yesterday,,as did Hill,,,Ray and I have the truck tanks,,evaporator, and tanks at the sugar house all cleaned,,,I wont get them dirty with sap agine unless we get a 1500 gallon run ((which is pretty unlikly at this point)),,I want to make at LEAST 500 gallons,,gonna start more thinning today or tommrow,,I definatly saw a diffrance on rte.11 where I thinned last year,,,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Parker,

Interesting perspective on the extensions. I used some of the new stainless spouts this year on a few trees and saw no difference either. :?

Russell Lampron
04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Parker,

How many gallons of syrup did you make this year? I made 80 gallons which is more than I ever have but I have 200 more taps and those are on vacuum. If I figure how much syrup I would have made without the new taps I think it was a pretty bad year here.

Russ

Parker
04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
So far I made 298 gallons,,I have talked to a lot of people that made just the same as they made last year,,noon weather report sounds pretty good,,I am going to play it by ear,,see if I get a charge of sap tommrow

Parker
04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Just going over my list of what I need in the AM,,,gas for the pumps,,oil for the pumps,,gottta pump the swill out of the Hoit road tank (just in case it does run),,,,,,,COME ON BOXCARS,,lets see 4 straight days of full tanks,,,GOOD LUCK

mountainvan
04-05-2006, 06:07 AM
parker, what's your elevation? guys in the flatlands are done here.

Parker
04-06-2006, 04:53 AM
The elevation of the Hill bush is 900' rte. 11 is 750',,hoit road the same putney around 675',,,all pretty low,,all the reds have huge buds,,the sugars are starting to swell,,I think the sap I get today will be a little buddy but I am going to try,,I hate to quit,,,,,,I pick up 800 gallons of real cloudy sap yesterday,,I figured to 2 inline sap filters I have would clean it up a little,,ran it into my empty and clean evap and started boiling,,,got the bait shop smell right off the bat,,dumped the sap recleaned the evap,,as I was picking up sap yesterday I really washed the tanks so the sap that ran yesterday is nice and clear,,will try agine today,,the hill tank had around 600 gallons last night ONE MORE TRY,,GOOD LUCK I do have to say with the return of sugaring weather BOTH putney hill and Hoit road started to run fairley well agine,,I guess the spile extensions are working ,,MY MISTAKE,,,only a dusting of snow here,,but good temps

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-06-2006, 06:26 PM
post edited

Parker
04-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Collected 900 gallons from hill and 200 from Hoit road,,got 450 from rte.11 but it looks like applejuice,,holding that seprate,,the 1100 made 8 gallons of fancy,,with one hell of a robust maple flavor 8O 8O ,, there is 250 up in Hill and 150 on rte.11that is crystal clear,,still have the 450 of apple juice to run thru last thing,,kinda want it to end at this point so I can do a Vermont road trip but Ill hang in there as long as I can,,,,Good luck

mountainvan
04-07-2006, 06:25 AM
I had the same kick in my syrup yesterday. I think it was from the stuff left on the rig. what do you think?

small_operator
04-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Parker,
Are you making apple syrup. Does it require any extra cleaning of the pan afterward. I wanted to boil a gallon or so of cider, but I didn't want to use my 2x6. For one thing it's too big. I suppose I could run water in the back and just use the front pan.
Gary

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-07-2006, 07:08 PM
post edited.

Parker
04-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Medium? Funny, bascomes bought it for fancy,,,,nothing I would eat,,but I guess they make something out of it,,,How much syrup did you make this year Kevin?
I am calling it a year,,made 20 gallons or so last night,,,same poor tasting,,smelling,,guess I wound up with 326 gallons,,,most of the people I have talked to said they made 1/2 to 3/4 of a crop this year,,,with the expansion I would like to do in Hill and the thinning I would like to do in all the woods I would like to think one year I could make 700 gallons,,definatly need a steamaway or RO to speed it up a littel,,would be tough to handel over 2500gallons of sap a day for a few days in a row,,,definatly better than last year and room for improvement,,,,I am headind to Lamoile and Franklin counties in VT on monday,stay over mon night head back tues. nite,anyone going to be around?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-08-2006, 08:19 AM
post edited

Parker
04-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Mountianvan- I really dont know exactly what caused it,, it was very warm here and the buds all started,,then this last bit of sugaring weather,,I think it is the tast of the trees being done with sugaring sap and getting started on there leaves,,,but,, I really dont know,,,how did you make out this year?
smallopperator,,I dont know what apple syrup is,,probably the stuff I made the tail end of it,,pretty poor tasting stuff,,,the pans really did not get that dirty from the last bit we boiled,,I probably could have made some more but it is time to stop the madness,,How was your year?

mountainvan
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
parker, my syrup went back to normal today, no extra strong flavor. 20 here tonight and 40s tomorrow.MORE SAP!!! the strong stuff is already sold, had people waiting for it! I think the strong flavor may be a bacteria or yeast that only thrives in very warm temps working on the syrup left in my pans. got that smell as soon as I started up yesterday, definitely came from the syrup pan, flue pan was fresh sap. I have a customer who's a bacteriaoligist, spelled it that wrong, I'll ask him next time he comes up.Neighbor is head forestry guy for the catskill preserve, I'll ask him too.

Parker
04-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Could well be as the sap I collected towards the end of the season was cloudy and a little green but did not have a bad taste to it,,in the past I have tasted sap that just tasted awful,,but this stuff really did not,,,,,BUT my pans were empty and washed befor I started boiling the last of the sap,,and no sap sat in the tanks for more than 12 hours?,,,,I did notice that my flue pan would have a bunch of stuff floating in it thru the sight glasses,,,(suspended solids),,and I would like to figure out how to avoid this in the fucther,,only happend 3 times this year,,but when I see that I know I have to clean the pans,(or no matter what kind of sap I put into the evap. I will be making commercial syrup),,just hate to dump all that sap (200-300 gallons) to wash them,,a fellow told me that not skimming the flue pan is the cause of the floaters,,I have a flat hood on the fluepan so no skiming,,I do have 2 felt filters that the sap goes thru befor it enters the evap,,,and we washed the tanks after every boil???

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Parker,

I never skim my evaporator period and I have never had floating objects in it like that. :?

mountainvan
04-09-2006, 06:20 PM
maybe this subject falls under my general philosophical view of maple sugaring." maple sugaring, sapflow, weather, etc. is like a woman, you never know what it's going to do." some things were not meant to figure out!!

Parker
04-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Brandon-when you look in your flue pan at the end of the season there is no "stuff" floating around in there,,kinda like floating sugar sand??,,,do you have a sight glass tube on your flue pan? Curious,,I know I have seen this ealsewhere,,,I think if I could figure this problem out it would save me alot of time washing and make my syrup lighter {allready is the best tasting,,well,,most of it} 8O

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Parker,

I don't have sight glasses and after six weeks of boiling the last two years, the flue pan looked fine and I never cleaned it any during the season. Had a layer of sugarsand everywhere in it this year and never had before due to an enormous amount of sand the latter half of the season this year due to the low quality sap. I am going to try to start cleaning it and the syrup pan every week that I boil a good quanity of sap next year and see what that does and filter what I take out and put it back in after cleaning. :)

sweetwoodmaple
04-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Yes, just draining the evaporator between boils through prefilters makes a huge difference. Especially since I use gravity filtering 95% of the time.

Even my float boxes get sugar sand in them by the time the season is over.

Parker
04-11-2006, 06:55 PM
just got back from lamoile and franklin counties in Vermont,,made 10 stops in 2 days,8000-50000 tap opperations,,and a 700 tap opperation,just amazing wacting 120-150 gallons comming off an evaporator in an hour,,,,,learned alot,,toured some butiful woods,,my how the rockies grow up there

royalmaple
04-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Parker-

Where those guys still going pretty strong, 50K?

I'd like to check that out too, seems pretty neat but not sure if they are done or getting done soon?

lemme know, might take a ride.

Parker
04-12-2006, 03:49 AM
everyone we stopped to see was still having good runs but they all thought thursday would be the end of it,,their trees were starting to bud,, I was very suprised that the elevation of lake champlaine is 90' above sea level,,and most of franklin county is relitivly low in evevation,,when we stopped at Goodrichs(other side of the state) he said the evevation was 1000' at the sugarhgouse and the woods were all higher that that,,,I do have to say Glenn has some absolutly amazing woods,,,fantastic looking maples with amazing crowns,,they just grow diffrent in Vermont...

small_operator
04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I collected my last batch Monday afternoon. I ran about 75 taps this year all rock maple but one red. I also missed the January run and one in March, but I made 7 gallons total, which is up from 5.5 gallons last year. Next year I'm definitely using a vacuum. I use my truck manifold vacuum hooked to an old 100# propane tank to clean my lines with, and using that it definitely pulled some sap thru at the end that wasn't coming out with gravity. My lines are on a good slope at the top, but they go almost level for some distance. I'm running a 2x6 Small Brothers with shiny tin pans. It's really too big for the amount of taps I have. I'll also see if I can get more trees. It's funny how people have 2x6's with an RO, but it makes sense. It must save a lot of time boiling and you can handle more taps.
Gary

Al
04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Dang Parker, You should of stopped in an seen my 131 bucket modern operation in Fairfield. You would of been astounded to see my 40 cup water heater and my ladel used to measure syrup level in the front pan. :lol: :lol: Next time your in the area give me a call. Can't wait until the 29th. Took the day off it's our Maple Festival and also all the big dealers open houses. :D 8) All within 20 miles.
We're finished now and so is everyone else except for my neighbor. He has 10'000 buckets. 8O Takes him awhile to get to the ones on the mountain.
Take care,

Parker
04-13-2006, 04:28 AM
I picked up my releasers yesterday,,was surprised to see the 1,000 gallon tank in Hill running over (with no vacume) rte.11 had 500 gallons,,hoit road 350 gallons,,for a few seconds I was planning on firing up the 2 ton and collecting-boiling,If I collected eveything I would have had over 2,000 gallons,sap was pretty gross,cant stand the smell of that stuff boiling,came to my senses,,NEXT YEAR!!!

Al I could not remember the name of the road you live on,,we did not see any sines for pumkin village, :) ,I bet we drove right by your place to boot,,are you neighbors the Horrigans? On the way from Coreys to Brannons we shot down Buck Hollow road a ways and saw were I spent some time in the spring of 1983-1984,, Small opperator how do you pull sap thur you line and not get it going into your engine? are there more taps available to you? This sugaring is a horribal illness that gets in your blood and grows,,,I bet you will be up to 5,000 taps with a big RO on that 2x6 befor you know it!!!