PDA

View Full Version : Sugar house break in. One of us?

Dill
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Man charged with sugar house break-in
Norm Welsh
Published May 4, 2011 at 3:00 am (Updated May 3, 2011)
ShareThis

MILFORD — A Manchester man is being held on $50,000 cash bail after allegedly trying to steal tools from a sugar house on North River Road.

On Saturday, Keith Harvey of Milford was driving past his father-in-law’s home at 373 North River Road when he noticed an unfamiliar car in the driveway. He stopped at the house and found someone in the sugar shack on the property, according to court documents.

Harvey confronted the man, identified later as Brian Johnson, 46, or 70 Dover St. in Manchester, and Johnson reportedly said he was “gathering some of the junk in what he believed was an abandoned building.”

Harvey apparently made it clear to Johnson that the building wasn’t abandoned, and Johnson allegedly offered to put back the items he had taken which included two circular saws, a tool box, a compressor and other miscellaneous items.

Johnson then allegedly offered Harvey a “free ATV” out of the back of his vehicle, but Harvey told police he declined.

When Johnson left, Harvey recorded his license plate number and vehicle description and later, his father-in-law, Harold Webster, called police.

Officer Michael Tufo began an investigation. When he ran the plates of the vehicle, he discovered that the vehicle had been involved in a hit-and-run accident in Bedford about two hours after the alleged burglary in Milford.

He also faces several theft charges out of Manchester.

Johnson was arrested on a warrant by Milford Police on Sunday and is being held on $50,000 cash bail for the felony charge of theft. He entered no plea at his probable cause hearing on Monday, and his next hearing is May 11 at Milford District Court.

Charges against Johnson in connection with the motor vehicle accident in Bedford had not been filed as of Tuesday.

red maples
05-04-2011, 11:46 AM
My wife said there was another one on the news, don't know where it was but they stole bottled and 5 gallon containers of syrup I think she said it was 120 gallons in all. Had to somebody that knows what to do with it or why would they steal bulk 5 gal containers!!!

Gotta keep those sugarhouses locked I guess!!!

I remember reading in "The Gathering Tank" that someone had there SH broken into last year and took a sledge hammer to the cash register with $250 in it.

Bucket Head
05-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Brad,

What is the "Gathering Tank"?

I'm glad someone caught the guy in the act. Unfortunately, for every one sugar house crime punished, hundreds get away with it. Too many folks find their remote and sometimes not remote sugarhouses broken into. A lot of stuff winds up missing and usually the building is damaged pretty good too. A lot of pumps and tanks are lost too, you just don't hear about it.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I lost a dandy 300 gallon all SS tank and lids 4 years ago:mad: Back when the scrap price was way up must have gotten $700.00 for it:cry: