PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

supersapper
05-03-2011, 10:00 PM
i made a barrel arch this year with a 2x2 flat pan with no dividers. made 5 gals syrup. i am looking to go to 15-20 gallons next year. i am going to build a new arch and am wondering if a 2x4 would work or would a 2x6 be needed? i will be using flat pans. 2x2 for front with two dividers, and 2x2 or2x4 back pan with two dividers. this has yet to be made. the shed that it will be housed in is 12x14. no plans to ever get any bigger than this. i have 100+ boxelder and 100+ sugars at my disposal. i want to make enough for me and family and sell 10 or so gallons.

C.Wilcox
05-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I'd go 2X6. 15 gallons of syrup is roughly equivalent to 60 taps and that's at the high end of reasonable for a 2X4 flat pan, if you have a day job to contend with.

red maples
05-04-2011, 07:59 AM
yeah if your planning to stick to the flat pan your gonna want a 2x6.

Besides the maple bug is a funny disease you may not want to get bigger but it somehow makes you go bigger!!:confused::lol:

and with a 2x6 arch you can add more taps and increase your boiling potential by adding in a flue pan.

supersapper
05-04-2011, 09:20 PM
i know it is addictive but for now and the forseable future that amount of syrup would be enough. sure i could give away alot more but there needs to be a limit. i usually have the time to collect and boil myself with a little help from the wife. three or four all-day boils are doable as are a few in between. i am just looking to not be too crowded in the shed that i have.i plan on finishing and bottling in there also.

adk1
05-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Your in the same boat that I am. I was seriously looking at a 2x4 flat pan setup, but waited and got a 2x6 drop flue. Hope I made the right decision!

Bucket Head
05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Go with the 2x6. It won't take up too much more room than the other and you'll have the capability to add taps later if you want. You never know, years from now you might expand and want a flue pan. Then you have the capability to add/buy/build a pan that will handle more taps. The 2x4's are great rigs, but they are very limited in what they can handle. The 2x6 will shorten your boil time by a little bit over the 2x4 with the taps you have now also.

Steve

Ausable
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Your in the same boat that I am. I was seriously looking at a 2x4 flat pan setup, but waited and got a 2x6 drop flue. Hope I made the right decision!

Hey - Congratulations ADK1 - So You bought a 2x6 drop flue - You got the right rig for the number of taps you could have - believe it was 170 and You mentioned You have a neighbor with trees to tap. A 2x4 flat pan would mean longer hours boiling. I couldn't imagine doing the number of taps you will have with my 2x5 flat pan. So - again - congratulations and all the best in the 2012 season ....... Dang ... and I thought I could count on you to plan forever....

adk1
05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Yes, I am very happy. Money hasent exchanged hands, but it will soon. I am looking forward to it, I ahve run the evap alittle as it was my brother in laws. pretty easy to operate. Should be ideal

supersapper
05-05-2011, 09:57 PM
i think that the 2x6 is going to be the way to go. i was looking to put the rig along the 12' end but if i set it on the 14' end i will still have the same room to feed the fire, and draw off, the valve will have to be on the opposite side is all. this WILL work. yee-haaaaaa. can't wait to start welding!!!!

3rdgen.maple
05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes, I am very happy. Money hasent exchanged hands, but it will soon. I am looking forward to it, I ahve run the evap alittle as it was my brother in laws. pretty easy to operate. Should be ideal

SO does this mean that you are PLANNING on paying him for it? Hmmmm wonder how long this plan is going to take. :D

Ausable
05-06-2011, 06:03 AM
SO does this mean that you are PLANNING on paying him for it? Hmmmm wonder how long this plan is going to take. :D

--OH - OH! -- and just when I thought ADK1 had finally been DE-PLANNED. So now it will be - I just got the best syrup press from a guy that I'm PLANNING on paying........someday.............