PDA

View Full Version : Sodium benzoate?

John c
05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I have found food grade drums that contained sodium benzoate. I've done some research and found that it is used in many things as a Preservative. I also found it is water soluble. As you can guess by now, my question is going to be, should I stay clear of these barrels or will the preservative clean out?

Sodium benzoate (E211) has the chemical formula NaC6H5CO2. It is the sodium salt of benzoic acid and exists in this form when dissolved in water. It can be produced by reacting sodium hydroxide with benzoic acid.

Bucket Head
05-03-2011, 11:11 PM
John,

I don't know anything about the chemical make-up of this product. Hopefully Dr. Tim will see this and comment. If it is what we might call "safe to use", I would wonder about any off flavors it might cause. Sap and syrup will absorb even the slightest off flavors and odors from a previously used container. I'm not saying all used containers are bad- I have used barrels here too, but some are better suited than others for maple production.

Steve

John c
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes I am hoping the Dr. Will explain.

DrTimPerkins
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes I am hoping the Dr. Will explain.

Because I cannot be absolutely certain of all the facts involved, I cannot comment specifically on this matter (or those like it) due to liability concerns. Given that, it is very important that all containers used for maple syrup be constructed of food-grade materials, have never contained hazardous substances, and have no contamination that will impact bad flavors or dangerous levels of substances on syrup stored in them.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
If you have any doubt, don't use it.

John c
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
If you have any doubt, don't use it.

Yeah that's a great expression, however I am only in doubt about weather or not my syrup will still be considered "pure maple syrup" since sodium benzoate is a preservative found in many foods from soda pop - store bought syrup.
I'm not really concerned with weather or not it will make anybody sick, at least not any sicker than they already are from consuming sodium benzoate every day already!
Well, I'll just pass on the barrels for now in hopes that something else comes along. I'm not about to go through all the work of making "pure maple syrup" if there is any chance it won't be pure!
Thanks guys,

John c.

Thad Blaisdell
05-04-2011, 02:17 PM
If you are looking for syrup barrels on the cheap I believe you should just post here, all Vermonters will be getting rid of all of their barrels and you will probably be able to pick some up pretty cheap.

Homestead Maple
05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I have found food grade drums that contained sodium benzoate. I've done some research and found that it is used in many things as a Preservative. I also found it is water soluble. As you can guess by now, my question is going to be, should I stay clear of these barrels or will the preservative clean out?

Sodium benzoate (E211) has the chemical formula NaC6H5CO2. It is the sodium salt of benzoic acid and exists in this form when dissolved in water. It can be produced by reacting sodium hydroxide with benzoic acid.

What size were the barrels? 30,40gal.?

John c
05-04-2011, 07:04 PM
What size were the barrels? 30,40gal.?

I guess they would actually be called totes or tanks because they are either 330 or 350 gallons. The kind with a cage around it!
Why, what's on your mind that makes you ask?

KenWP
05-04-2011, 07:19 PM
They probbably will work fine.If you use a food grade funnel to fill them then everything is copistetic.

Homestead Maple
05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I guess they would actually be called totes or tanks because they are either 330 or 350 gallons. The kind with a cage around it!
Why, what's on your mind that makes you ask?

If they were 30 or 40 gal. they would make good grills but if they're that size I suppose they could be used to roast a pig! :)

SPILEDRIVER
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
id use them....ive used and handled S.B. for 30 yrs...its widely used in the trapping/fur handleing trade as a preservative and antifreeze compound.ive had it on me and in me for years....not much different than salt

John c
05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok, I'm still debating I guess. Maybe I'm procrastinating in hopes that I'll find something else in the meantime! there is a guy locally that can get them and he wants $175 each or he will drop the price a bit if I get 2 or more, so if there is anybody else interested let me know and maybe we can get a good deal on them! They are either 330 or 350 gallon capacity.

John.

metalhead62
05-07-2011, 04:31 PM
hey john the price seems pretty high to me here i can get 275s for 50 to 75$and i know i seen ads on here before with a better price than 175$ corn syrup is the best to clean if u can find them just my 2 cents

U.S.M.C.Cpl
05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
If it is an IBC Tote go to http://freedommfg.com/ and get a liner for it!!!

backyard sugaring
06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
USMC CPL,
Do you know how much those liners cost? This seems like a good idea to me.