PDA

View Full Version : lining my arch

crawflyer
05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi all ... I am planning to line my arch with a ceramic blanket and then covering the blanket with something hard enough to handle the wood being tossed in. Firebrick would work but my arch is only 16" wide (unlined) and I would like to find something thinner than brick to cover the blanket to save valuable cubic inches. Is something available the thickness of say ceramic floor tile and would floor tile handle the hi temp?

3rdgen.maple
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi all ... I am planning to line my arch with a ceramic blanket and then covering the blanket with something hard enough to handle the wood being tossed in. Firebrick would work but my arch is only 16" wide (unlined) and I would like to find something thinner than brick to cover the blanket to save valuable cubic inches. Is something available the thickness of say ceramic floor tile and would floor tile handle the hi temp?

Just get split bricks or what some call halves. Lined my whole arch with them and they work for me. Half the thickness as a regular firebrick.

Haynes Forest Products
05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
If the arch is so small why not use the blanket on the outside and cover with sheetmetal? More space more wood= more heat= more GPM cooked = more syrup:)

Sugarmaker
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes seems that splits might work nice in that arch. They are 1/2 the thickness of normal brick.
Chris

crawflyer
05-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the tip on the spits guys. I'm sure they will work for me. Also, I see that the density of most ceramic board is twice that of the ceramic blanket at the same thickness and heat rating at twice the price. Is it safe to assume that the board insulates better?

lakeview maple
08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey I found a place to get 8lb 1" ceramic blanket in a 2ft by 25 ft roll for around 70 bucks delivered ,thats with shipping ,its called the refactory depot.com ,you have to email them asking for a small order ,and youll talk to a gentleman named Bob Stevenson.really nice guy and Im very happy with the product, God Bless and have a great summer ,Al