PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to sugaring, interested in possibly selling in the future. Many questIons

Timmymacnj
05-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Hey guys,

So next year I will be branching out to about 40 or so taps, and I was hoping you guys could steer me In the right direction. How could I go about selling? I know each state has their own labeling/ grading guidelines, what is the outlet and procedure you small time guys take? Farmers markets? Craigslist? Any help would be appreciated.

michiganfarmer2
05-03-2011, 08:10 AM
I started out selliing at my sharpening shop where I have a lot of walk in customers. I also started selliing to people on a couple forums that Im on. I sell a dab on ebay. Ebay is tough though. THere are hundreds of maple syrup sellers there.

I dont like being in town, or around crowds of people, so I made a deal with a friend. Id let him have quarts for $11 if he woudl take them to the farmers markets, and sell them for whatever he could get.

I have a pretty good customer base. I found a couple other places that shuold produce customers in the future. ...places that Ive looked into that have no maple syrup advertised, or for sale.

Lots of ideas out there

red maples
05-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Well, I am in NH. sO I don't know maine laws. but as far as selling outlets. I sell mine right out of a little farm stand I built at the end of my driveway, Maple weekend, Work, my wife's work, neighbors.

To date I have sold (Approx numbers)

18 gallons on maple weekend(which could have been 25 -30 gallons had I more syrup
7-10 gallons out of the farmstand
2-3 gallons through my wife's work, her yoga buddies etc.

and its only may!! this is only my second year but I am developing a pretty good customer base and if sales keep going the way they are I will be out of syrup before August!!!

So with 40 taps depending on your trees, set-up weather etc. your talking maybe 10 gallons if your lucky minus 1.5 gallons for yourself. and a little sign at the end of your driveway. I am positive you will sell out very quickly!!!

A few things to keep in mind. after my initial business start up fees( mostly legal) My just business expenses not including jugs, upgrades, seasonal taps, and seasonal equipment(filters and stuff) Its about $750-$850, yearly liability insurance, yearly state registration, yearly web site fees.

and 1 more thing I would stay away from any 3rd party websites for small sales such as Craigslist...too many preditors.

Hope this helps