PDA

View Full Version : mainlines hanging on wire/lightening

twobears1224
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
has anybody ever had lightening hit there mainline hanging on wire?? when,we started using wire for mains i wondered about lightening strikes.
well,i don,t need to wonder anymore it happens and it really trashs your mainline tubing.we had two lines hit.a 3/4 inch black line and a new blue 3/4 inch Y:ED off from it.the wire on the blue line got so hot it melted and busted and that end was laying on the ground.
the wire on these are just looped around the tree with cedar blocks between the wire and tree to keep it from cutting/growing into the tree.the blue line is hooked to two small hemlock trees on each end.the black line hooks to one of the same trees at the bottom of the hill that hemlock tree has burn marks at both wires and the wire melted the tubing.the blue is cut right in half lenghtwise on the top and in same places the wire went inside the tubing and almost burned thur the bottom.
theres a quick coupling right by the hemlock tree with the two wires on it and the coupling was opened up and disconnected.

DrTimPerkins
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
has anybody ever had lightening hit there mainline hanging on wire??

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=12983&highlight=lightning

twobears1224
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
TIM:thanks for the link i never saw that.we think it got hit right at the end of season.one night we got one heck of a lighting storm and one sounded like it was right by the sugarhouse.i stayed up even tho it was 3am and keep looking down that way to make sure it wasn,t the sugarhouse (stacks where still up) dad was cleaning tubin here this week and found the melted tubing and wire.theres a very high ridge behind the sugarhouse and thats where it hit.