PDA

View Full Version : broken taps

woodsmith
05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I started using the Leader 5/16 bucket taps this season and actually broke 3 taps when it came time to pull them out of the trees. I've been using a straight claw hammer and then a curved claw hammer to pull the taps. Do you folks have any suggestions for what to use so as not to break the taps? Any suggestions for removing the broken piece left in the tree? thanks

sugarmountain
05-01-2011, 06:33 PM
What part is breaking? the broken chunk wont hurt anything unless your gonna saw them for lumber.

woodsmith
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
the taps broke right at the bark on the tree

woodsmith
05-01-2011, 06:43 PM
not planning to saw the trees for lumber, but it seems like the tap hole might heal faster if I can find a way to remove the broken tap left in the tree.

stoweski
05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I was able to get two of mine that broke out with needle nose pliers. Did have to expand the hole a little to get one of the 'noses' in to grip the tap but the minimal damage to the tree is better than leaving the tap in, in my mind.

I've broken four of them so far. Going to tubing next year so will not be using nearly as many.

When I pull them I always try to wiggle them by hand first then use the claw on a hammer if necessary. I actually broke one with just my hand!

Haynes Forest Products
05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Just watch how the tap torqes to the side as you remove it. Your on the verge of snapping them all off and over time you will. Get yourself a wonderbar and cut the nail grove on the hook side to fit the tap spout. With that type of puller you will pull the tap stright out of the hole. You can feel the pop as it comes out of the tree plus it wont rag the back of the tap.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I pop mine out with a curved claw hammer and just hook it right behind the barb and give them a little pressure and it pops right out. Broke one a few years ago driving it into the tree but never broke one pulling it out. Probably could drill out the broken ones with minimal damage to the tree as they are aluminum and soft.

Dave Y
05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
If you want to pull broken tap out of the tree, just run a screw into the tap and use the screw to pull it out with the claw hammer or a pair of pliers.

Bucket Head
05-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Dave Y's suggestion is how I got one out. You could also screw in one of the "easy-out" bits that are for removing broken bolts- you already have the hole that is needed. The couple others that have broke on me came out easily.

I would not leave any broken taps in a tree. The tree might have trouble healing the hole. I have seen plenty of split maple firewood with old taps in them. Sometimes there was new wood surrounding the tap and sometimes the tree was rotted behind the tap. For whatever reason the tree did not heal the wound so rain, insects, etc. could get in.

Steve

maple flats
05-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I never broke a plastic one, but one cast bucket spout, 5/16 broke once. I used a tap to thread inside, then used a small socket, with a screw to fit the threads and used the "puller" I had made.
If you are breking the plstic ones you need a better puller. I made mine by taking a cheap copy of a Stanley Wonder bar and with a Dremmel tool I cut a round cut out where the nail puller slot was on the short end. The groove fits the tap (and the CV's), It is then very easy to pull taps, one quick, easy pull and it will pop. You must be getting the claw in too far and nicking the plastic, giving it a weak spot to break. The bar I made cost me $1 at Big Lots and it took me about 3 minutes to cut the groove at the most. I did it with a small sanding cylinder. It also cost the price of the cylinder because after 1 cut it was junk. This tool pulls straight so there is no torque, and I pull from the side the tap is leaning towards, which is usually the bottom but not always.

Revi
05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
We have broken some of the older taps, but I figure it's time to replace them.

cncaboose
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I use the Leader tree saver aluminum taps exclusively and seem to break about 2 every year removing them. These taps are cast aluminum and just aren't that tough so I figure it's part of the cost of doing business. I use a 5/16" drill bit (not my tapping bit) to drill them out so the tree can heal. No big deal.

Ahnohta2
05-08-2011, 06:21 AM
We use 5/16" Leader Alum. and to remove we use a slip joint pliers w/ duct tape on the jaws, grab the tap and spin it 90` and pull out at same time. We had broken some in past and this method works good for us. Do wish tho they would make this same tap in SS where one does not have to be so gentle.