PDA

View Full Version : Long distance sugaring

EriobNY
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
The short question is, how long can one store sap before boiling? I'm considering tapping and can only get to the sugar house on weekends. I was hoping that I could run a pipe line system to storage and boil on the weekends.
Any an all thoughts are welcome.

Haynes Forest Products
05-01-2011, 11:51 AM
The bigger and better insulated the storage tank is the better it will keep the sap. You will be able to make syrup its just a matter of how good it will be. So your talking a gravity system so how many taps are we talking ? You might also consider the blue rapidtube for the mainlines so the sap wont get hot in the lines. Painting the storage tank white and coverd in snow and in the shade will also help keep it longer.

EriobNY
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the note. I was considering to start with about 40 to 80 total taps. Please correct me if i'm figuring this wrong.

All of this a best guestimate,...

Option A) 2 runs of 40 taps = 40 gal./ run. Let's say 5 runs a week. So collection tanks of 250 gal. Absolute minimum. 250 gal tanks are pricey.

Option B) four lines with about 20 taps per. Which would be about 100 ga. Collection tanks of 100 gals. Min. I don't think I would need a main line if I was able to position the collection tanks so that I don',t have more than 100' to the end trees.

Run with a light colored Lines, place collection tanks in the shade, or shade them and I like your suggestion of covering them with snow.

Now, I have no idea about the grade of the syrup, i'm hoping that I would get a medium or dark grade A ?

Haynes Forest Products
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Food grade potable water pallet tanks are CHEAP. Insulating them with silver backed blue 2" 4X8 sheets is easy and light. Now if you tap the trees and the tank over flows when your gone it will keep the sap fresh. A pallet tank is about $75.00 to $100.00 so get to looking on Craig's list. Then and Only when you have read all the posts on cleaning out the tank because it smells like a boat full of Norwegian fishermen:o can you repost about getting the stink out:rolleyes: As far as wishing about what you want Heck I wish I was taller and had more hair BUT that ain't happening GET TO WORK;)

GramaCindy
05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Food grade potable water pallet tanks are CHEAP. Insulating them with silver backed blue 2" 4X8 sheets is easy and light. Now if you tap the trees and the tank over flows when your gone it will keep the sap fresh. A pallet tank is about $75.00 to $100.00 so get to looking on Craig's list. Then and Only when you have read all the posts on cleaning out the tank because it smells like a boat full of Norwegian fishermen:o can you repost about getting the stink out:rolleyes: As far as wishing about what you want Heck I wish I was taller and had more hair BUT that ain't happening GET TO WORK;)

Haynes, if nothing else, I will continue to read posts during the "off season" because of your HILARIOUS posts! You are quite the comedian!!!:lol:

70 Buick
05-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I only collect & boil on the weekends, & I never have any problems
I have 2 55 gallon & 2 35 gallon food grade plastic barrels
I keep them in the shade & have snow piled to the top of them

I collect by pail, each tree has a 6 gallon white food grade bucket on the ground with a tube running to it, this is my first year doing this & it worked great for me, last year was buckets hanging on the tree & they were always overflowing
Had 35 taps this season , first year with my barrel evaporator inside my shack & we did 14.5 gallons only on Saturdays, I was very pleased

The only sap that went bad was the last 35 gallons of the season, it got real warm here & 5 days of heat in the high 60's did it in

EriobNY
05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks, this gives me a clear answer and some options based upon experience. I'll "GET TO WORK" now.;)

maple flats
05-04-2011, 10:35 AM
That is what I'd say too. Early season thru mid season sap should be fine, late season will likely spoil. You can still make saleable syrup from spoiled sap, but the sugar % drops rapidly at that point and boil times will get longer than you might think is worth it. The syrup generated will likely be the lowest priced stuff too, Commercial.