PDA

View Full Version : best way to fill small glass

tuckermtn
05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I am looking at doing some wedding favors this summer and wondered what is the best way to fill the small (50ml) maple leafs, etc. I have about 200 to do for one wedding and 100 to do for another. I see that Leader makes a vacuum rig that they say works well. Is that the way to go? Does the small tip on the hands-free bottler that the mapleguys sell work also?

If the leader rig is the way to go, anyone want to rent me theirs for a weekend?

thanks -

Eric

Haynes Forest Products
05-01-2011, 09:21 AM
When I do the small bottles I went to Ace Hardware and in the brass fitting isle they also have small SS pipe fittings. I plumbed mine down to the 1/4 size. I got a 4" nipple and cut it at a 45 degree angle and round filed the inside to remove all burs. It works nice and the Angle cut keeps the foam to a minimum:) It cost me about $10.00 to do. I dont think the vacuum head is small enough to fit the small tops.

Rhino
05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I put a small funnel that is necked down really small onto my canners spigot. After a few practice leafs a person can get pretty good at fillin and not spillin. Bottled up 150 gal. of assorted bottles and sizes with the couple cold/ rainy/sometimes snowey weather we had for a couple days. Wish the Ground would warm up so i could get some garden planted.

upsmapleman
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
On my canner I necked down to a 1/4" brass barbed fitting. For nips I found a small plastic barb fitting which I can push onto the 1/4" which necks it down to nip size. I filled a case yesterday in under 20 minutes with not a drop spilled.

softmaple
05-02-2011, 02:30 PM
i used the smallest fitting on the mapleguys rig and thats works fine for us. we just got the fittings not the whole unit.

TF Maple
05-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I would think a coffee maker would work well for this.

Homestead Maple
05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know what type of fill valve you have on your canner but I have a leader canner. With the valve on this canner I use one of the 7/16ths. - 5/16ths. spout adapters ( DARSPADPT ) in the Bascom catolog. On the short end of this adapter, there is kind of a raised or stepped up portion that will fit snugly up into my canner valve. This reducer has a small opening and I have used this to fill the same bottles your talking about.

gearpump
05-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Eric,

We have a Leader vacuum filler that you could use for a weekend. It works great. Ideally you need to have 3-4 people helping: one supplying the bottles, one working the filler, and one or two capping the bottles. It really goes that fast.

-Marty

tuckermtn
05-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Excellent- thanks to all who have replied-

Gearpump- was talking with a few Loudon sugarmakers the other day and they mentioned you have a nice spot- hope to swing over sometime soon and check it out.

-Eric