PDA

View Full Version : Raised flue

Fred Henderson
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Why and how did the raised flue evaporater come about? What year and who(company) made the first one?

lastwoodsman
05-01-2011, 08:08 AM
That is a great question I would also would like to know. I never had heard of them until last year.

Woodsman

thenewguy
05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I think raised have been around for a few years (im thinking mid 1960's) lots of old raised flue waterloo evaporators around here with cross flow pans. reverse flow dropped flues are pretty rare in this area

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
My Great Uncle purchased a raised flue Grimm Lightning in 1942! I believe they were made long before that.

nhmaple48
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
The Small brothers started SMALL BROS.in 1870 building raised flue pans.In the early 1900's they started another small plant in Richford,Vt.that was eventually sold to a family friend.G.H.Grimm of Rutland,V.T.bought the rights to the Lighting evap.from the Richford plant in the early 1960's.Whitcomb,who owned the Richford plant,invented,[I assume],and sold the " Whitcomb air tight sap spout".

Bruce L
05-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Raised flue must be something like tomato,tomatoe.All we have ever worked with is raised flue.Here are some pics of our old pans outside the sugarhouse.The oldest one,which I am guessing from late 1800's,is 3' wide x 17' long,one piece!!!!!!!!!!! The crimps are rounded ,look to be about 2&1/2-3" tall,with dividers across the flue pan,the front syrup pan is like the old ice cube makers wher you dropped the formed piece into the water to make the individual cubes.Sorry if the pictures can't do it justice,but this pan has been here a long,long time.Then it was replaced by another more modern flue pan,then another around WW1 I believe my Grandfather said,which didn't last long,which was again replaced during the depression by the flue pan that sits on top of the pile which I replaced with stainless in 1989.I will scan the bill from the pan from the great depression when my Father finds it,it was for a 3x10 flue pan,3x4 syrup pan,2 self-syrupers for $200.00!!!!!!!