PDA

View Full Version : How did you all do?

SDdave
04-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Just wondering how everybody ended up this year. I myself finished with 8 gallons. Pretty satisfied with everything and going to make improvements for next year. Tap count will, sad to say, stay at the current numbers...for now:lol:

SDdave

BriJack
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Well we finally finished the last batch and canned another 5 gals with the first batch of 4+ gallons so a total of 9+ gallons out of 230+ gals of sap!!!!!

It was the best year yet, need more improvements always and more toys!!!

sniperdodo
05-01-2011, 08:45 AM
This was my first "real" year. I ended up with 290 gal. of sap that averaged 2.2% and made 6 gal. of syrup. Everyone in my area is saying it was one of the worst years they have ever had, probably because of the above average snow fall. In a way i am glad it was a slow year because I struggled to keep up with my 18" x 36" evap. I have already begun the design for a 2x6 for next year.

SilverLeaf
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I had a disappointing year. Didn't get skunked, but in the end it was definitely too short of a run to make much. Final tally was about 1 gallon of syrup for every 8 taps. But... there's always next year!

elm creek guy
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Made 22 gallons off 130 taps but had 30 taps and buckets stolen with about 3 weeks to go all in all a good year mostly light stuff with some Grade B dark in the very end. The evap I built last winter worked great but still may have to go larger for next year. Time to put stuff away and quit thinking about it for awhile.

sk8heaven
05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I ended up with 11 gallons of syrup from 100 taps. the weather made things pretty difficullt for me. On the bright side, i have sold all of my syrup (except the few 12 oz bottles for us). Have learned to make maple butter and maple cream for the first time and those have been selling like, well, like hotcakes :lol:.
I plan on adding 50 to 100 more taps next year and then it will be time to start shopping for a "real" evaporator.

woody1117
05-08-2011, 08:03 PM
18 gallons from 118 taps. Planted 300 sugar maple saplings on May 5th and put a new roof on the sugar shack on May 1st. I plan on cutting a bunch of dead elm trees soon for next years wood. Trying to think of away to use my evaporator as a smoker for fish and what not and also trying to think of some sort of experiment for preheating sap next year.

SDdave
05-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Planted 300 sugar maple saplings on May 5th.

Not only thinking of improving your stand of trees but improving the next generations as well. Thats great to hear!

To all who sell a quick question...Do you bother with product liability insurance? Just curious.

SDdave

woody1117
05-21-2011, 02:57 PM
I also found 50 tappable sugar maples in my parents woods. Noticed these trees last fall deer hunting and thought they may be maples. Walked down to look at them the other day and confirmed it. I haven't tapped in the woods before, we have been tapping yard trees. Now I get to spend my time figuring out how I want to handle them. The biggest draw back is that my parents building site is on a ridgetop in winona county and the trees are at the bottom of a valley that they own part of. Don't know how it will be getting sap out of that valley in March. I am not complaining though, I'll figure it out.

adk1
05-22-2011, 07:25 AM
I also found 50 tappable sugar maples in my parents woods. Noticed these trees last fall deer hunting and thought they may be maples. Walked down to look at them the other day and confirmed it. I haven't tapped in the woods before, we have been tapping yard trees. Now I get to spend my time figuring out how I want to handle them. The biggest draw back is that my parents building site is on a ridgetop in winona county and the trees are at the bottom of a valley that they own part of. Don't know how it will be getting sap out of that valley in March. I am not complaining though, I'll figure it out.
Figuring things out is 1/2 of making maple syrup if you ask me!