PDA

View Full Version : Syrup made and taps pulled for 2006.

TR Hardwoods
02-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Wow, I was just on the phone with a gentleman from SE Wisconsin. He said that he taps around 40 trees in a subdivision and that he had been making syrup for the last couple of weeks. He said that the last couple of days were great runs. Sounds like he was satisfied with the season so he is now going to pull his taps for 06'. I didn't find out how much syrup he made, but I assume it was a fair amount.

Chemist
03-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Pull the taps today. What a year! The buds swelled up last night and the sap I was cooking this morning had a foul smell. Last year I cooked one batch of buddy sap, not this year. I dumped it.
Overall, I tapped the first weekend in March, put in 18 taps and made 5 gallons, 3 quarts of syrup. All of my numbers were an all time high for me in my 3 years. For my home, the weather was perfect for almost the last two weeks. My biggest day netted me 43 gallons of sap. I cooked through 3 different nights over the season.

Kids and wife are happy its over. They are even happier that we have 5 gallons of grade "A" light syrup!