PDA

View Full Version : Tapered flues

xyz5150
04-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Leader is now tapering the front of there flues as a option to reduce sugar sand build up i dont see a advantage to this just a disadvantage by reducing surface area. Am i missing something? has anyone burnt there flues?

Sugarmaker
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Humm?
I have never noticed sugarsand in the front of the flues. Maybe I have never looked or maybe because I am still running almost raw sap? I have heard of sugar sand in lots of differrent ares where folks are running R.O.'s.
Could it also be that the front edge of the flues is more vulnrable on these longer fluepan shorter finish pan combos and folks are hitting them with wood too?
I think D&G has tapered flues.
Chris

RileySugarbush
04-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a 2x3 D&G flue pan with the flues angled on one end. Unfortunately the angles are on the stack end the way I have it piped. It only has 1/2" pipe nipples so I will turn it around when I add new ports.

Sugarmaker
04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I saw a D&G sportsman model that Daryl has and I thought the tapers were at the fire box end? But I could be wrong.
Chris

Daryl
04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
The tapers do go to the front on the Sportsman D&G. It is a drop flue.
Daryl

RileySugarbush
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm sure the tapers were intended to be on the front, towards the firebox. I certainly can't think of any reason they would be on the back. But for some reason the flow enters and exits on the opposite end. To keep my float box near the front where we can work with it and stay away from the stack I flipped it front to back. Also with the tiny 1/2 inch fittings and the high rates we are running I think we need bigger pipes.

I'm re-plumbing it with larger fittings for next year with the intention of making everything reversible and I'll flip it back the right way.