PDA

View Full Version : New roof construction

RC Maple
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
My first post on Maple Trader. I've found a lot of great information on here about how to build my new 12' x 14' building. What I haven't seen is the best way to roof it. With all the steam going up and into my cupula, should there be wood sheating underneath the metal roof, or is that asking for rotting wood?

adk1
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
good question I guess. I dont have wood sheeting but I also havent made syrup yet. THere are some posts on the forum that talk about this. some say that it will reduce some of the condensation I beleive

tuckermtn
04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I originally had just an aluminum roof set on strapping but the condinsation was too much. I pulled it off and ran some industrial grade (lots of knots) white pine ship-lap across the rafters and then put the aluminium roofing back on. Its been good ever since (3 years).

brookledge
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
On mine I just strapped the rafters with 2X4s every two feet and then put the metal roof on. Then used rigid insulation 1" thick between the rafters. As long as the steam does not come in contact with anything cold it will not condensate. It comes in 2'X8' sheets
Keith

3rdgen.maple
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I will throw another situation at you, mold. With an open system and the steam rising and getting any wood in the ceiling wet, is anyone else a little concerned over mold? I never put a thought into this until the letter from the bulk packer came out with a list of must haves and the steam hood was one, when i questioned it the answers made nothing but absolute sense. My roof is definaltely aging and I have plans for a new roof rafters and all with a greater pitch on it (tired of shoveling snow) and was going to seal the whole thing on the inside due to the growth of mold and the condensate dripping and where it can land has me concerned.

lastwoodsman
04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
I put 1/2 inch plywood over the 16" on center rafters first and then the steel sheeting. This decision was based on information found on this site. A lot of great information is here if you sift through it.

This spring I never had a drip inside the house and the plywood does not even get damp. Your only using it a month out of the year I do not for see any problems.

The steam venting was excellent on mine--wouldn't change a thing.
Woodsman

RC Maple
04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The pictures are great too. I'll get to kick it around while waiting for the rains to quit.

bearair
04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I went with just the steel roofing with nothing underneath. The dripping started within the first hour! So I then took a New cotton painters tarp and Tackett it to the rafters. And the drips stoped! The tarp wal only $11.00 so if it gets dirty or toren it's cheep and easy to replace. One thing I did was after the condensation started to collect on the tarp I took a long 2x2 and wiped off all the water. Thus soaked the cotton enough that all the moister aimed to the low end. Thus probably wouldn't meet inspection standards but it's just a hobby and no sales