PDA

View Full Version : Tapping trees around a house?

to100
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
What are the rules in respect to distances from a septic system?

Ausable
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
What are the rules in respect to distances from a septic system?

Hmmmmm! -- Sorry to say - I don't know. However - I was going to ask why my Syrup has been getting darker and I think You answered my question --- Mike

BryanEx
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Unless you are dumping heavy metals down the drain I would be more concerned about the septic system than the tree. I believe both the soil and the tree root system act as a purification system of sorts.

Ausable
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
My kidding aside - I agree with what BryanEx said - also - if you treat your septic tank on a monthly basis and have good bacterial action in the tank - the water going into the field will be filtered even more quickly by the gravel, sand and earth in the septic field....Mike

Homestead Maple
04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Check out this thread on taping near a cemetery. It may help answer your question.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=1903&highlight=maple+trees+cemetary

to100
04-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I am a first year hobbyist with 8 taps into milk jugs, with 20 year old turkey cooker. I was invited to come to a several lobster and clam bakes.
I don't want to get much bigger unless I make a RO and test next year. I got 2+ gallons between March 15 and April 10.
The one that the closest was a gallon or 2 a day, and once over filled over night. I have about 50 trees up back 200' to300' away. My gas delivery guy once asked if he could tap my trees.
I live in a ski area and Feb and March where real good this year.
I live by myself and try not use chemicals, so not a lots of flow.
Crowns are not large.
I have asked others who are like myself and they have not had any problems. Two had never given it a thought.

TF Maple
04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
The problem with septic systems is the bacteria and contaminating well water or food, but tree roots shouldn't suck up bacteria. As far as the other stuff in a septic system...just fertilizer unless you are flushing drugs or chemicals. I would maybe avoid a tree with roots right in the drain field but anything else is fair game.

wally
04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
if you treat your septic tank on a monthly basis

you shouldn't have to do anything on a monthly basis to a properly functioning septic system, other than use it.

as far as tapping trees in the vicinity, i've never given it any thought. absent specific research, i'd guess it will be ok.

SilverLeaf
04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Three of my trees are close to my septic field (and one in fact is very likely dipping its toes right in it) and I've never given it another thought. Not that that proves anything though!

But like others have said, unless you're dumping chemicals down the drain what's coming out of the system is just, well, free fertilizer. Watch what's in your laundry/dish detergent and you should be fine.

PerryW
04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
you shouldn't have to do anything on a monthly basis to a properly functioning septic system, other than use it.

I work for two different septic designers surveying and drafting septic plans and the only maintenance advice we give to the clients is to pump the tank(s) every two years.

red maples
04-26-2011, 07:20 PM
yes you shouldn't be putting any additives in your tank you don't need it. But yes have it pumped every 2-3 years. Even the small amount of chemicals that do go down the drain, the detergents and occational bleach and toilet cleaners and such will kill some of the bacteria but the kind thats in there is general beneficial bacteria and will act as a fertilizer to trees and plants and as far as the leech field is concerned if you have properly functioning system it should be water and draining straight down for the most part

maple maniac65
04-26-2011, 07:39 PM
could tend to make dark syrup

Revi
04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Those trees will benefit from the septic system. They'll get watered and receive fertilizer and nitrogen on a regular basis. The tree will be fine, unless you flush harmful chemicals.

wally
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I work for two different septic designers surveying and drafting septic plans and the only maintenance advice we give to the clients is to pump the tank(s) every two years.

the only thing i'd add to that advice would be for them to inspect the D-boxes and the tank once a year, as required by NH law.

sap retreiver
04-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I also have experience with sh!t and other than flowing down hill it ain't to bad.
On the serious side, after 4 feet of clean sand you can drink it, I beleive just haven't tried, but yes it's a fertilizer and unless your dumping toxic waste down there your good the tank should collect most all contaminents

brookledge
04-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't see why it is a problem. How many times do you see cow manure put in a garden and then eat the veggies? I have also seen farmers who pile it in the winter near maple trees.
Keith

Homestead Maple
04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
could tend to make dark syrup

Would that be thick dark syrup?

TF Maple
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't see why it is a problem. How many times do you see cow manure put in a garden and then eat the veggies? I have also seen farmers who pile it in the winter near maple trees.
Keith

Well, cow manure is just fertilizer but if people are flushing old prescriptions it could possibly end up in the tree I would think. It probably isn't a big concern, I'm just being overly cautious.

SeanD
04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure you have anything to worry about at all. Your tree's root system is likely far enough away already. If the roots are actually into the leech field, it's not the sap you have to worry about, it's the very costly damage the roots will do to the leech field.

Sean