PDA

View Full Version : Still too early in Western NY?

backyardsugarer
02-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I am holding off as hard as it is. It is supposed to get cold Sunday. I am tapping the next thaw after that.

Chris

Dropflue
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree Chris,
The weather service is predicting cold temps for the first half of February. It’s usually tapping season around the end of February or first week of March for me. That’s what my previous records show dating back to 1998.

Sugarmaker
02-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Albion Pa checking in,
We are not to far from western NY. As soon as the next thawing days come close to mid Feb. We will be as ready as possible.
I agree that this cold spell coming this weekend may be just what we need to kick the season into high gear.
Spiles are cleaned up. Tapper was checked over and started. Sugar house look respectable.
I might go cut some brush in one sugar bush: only about 25 old sugar maples. This would be a ideal place to put some gravity fed (no vacuum) tubing and a tank, I just can't bring my self to invest in the pump and stuff I would need at the bottom of the hill about 100 feet off the road.

( I think all the mapletrader Chris's should start our own topic? What do you think???)
CEC

themapleking
02-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I just looked at the long range forecast. Change of plans I'll start tapping this weekend. I was going to wait till the last weekend of Feb. But next week Looks like sap weather starting on tuesday Feb 21 highs in the mid -high 30's lows in the 20's. after this weekends cold shot.

backyardsugarer
02-15-2006, 06:29 AM
I am going to hold off till next week also. I don't want to start boiling and have the pan freeze solid this weekend with the cold snap. not long now either way.

Chris