PDA

View Full Version : Stove pipe size

treehugger
04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
What's the smallest diameter stove pipe size recommended for a 2x6 wood fired evaporator. I currently use 6" for my half pint, but am re-fitting sugar shack for a 2x6 raised flue G.H. Grimm lightning. I have a hunch it would be too easy (not recommended) to neck down the base stack which is an 8" to 6". Thanks.

3rdgen.maple
04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
What's the smallest diameter stove pipe size recommended for a 2x6 wood fired evaporator. I currently use 6" for my half pint, but am re-fitting sugar shack for a 2x6 raised flue G.H. Grimm lightning. I have a hunch it would be too easy (not recommended) to neck down the base stack which is an 8" to 6". Thanks.

Mine is 8 inch but I think it is getting more common for the manufacturers to put 10 inch on them now. I wouldnt go any less than 8 especially with a flue pan on it.

jmayerl
04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
8"inches natural draft, I would go to 10" if you plan on doing a blower

warners point
04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I have 8" on my 2x6 and had no problems, Plus I extended it to 18 feet since I had the extra pipe. It got great draft, the flues were roaring all the way back.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-23-2011, 05:44 PM
well after reviewing some of these older posts, I am thinking of going to a 10" stack from the 7" I have now. with adding AOF/AUF and an air tight arch think I need to go bigger. Does any one have any more input on this.

Ausable
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
well after reviewing some of these older posts, I am thinking of going to a 10" stack from the 7" I have now. with adding AOF/AUF and an air tight arch think I need to go bigger. Does any one have any more input on this.

Ok Flat Lander - And with this Mega Stack You are dreaming about - Will you still be making Maple on your 2x6 or are You expanding into something on a grander scale - Say an Electric Generating Plant or a Distillery. Got a theory about monster stacks for 2x6"s --- LOL -- like to hear it

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Ok Flat Lander - And with this Mega Stack You are dreaming about - Will you still be making Maple on your 2x6 or are You expanding into something on a grander scale - Say an Electric Generating Plant or a Distillery. Got a theory about monster stacks for 2x6"s --- LOL -- like to hear it

oh yea sticking with 2x6, squaring it up;), moving fire box back to front of flue pan:rolleyes:, extending stack area probably 12" and going to make a U at the back of flue pan so heat gets trapped and smoke will flow around and go up stack. Just thinking:lol: by putting that U in there I will need more of a draft which I think would mean I need a bigger stack:o

Yes let me hear your theory then we will let the Doc. chime in on it

Ausable
06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
LOL - OK - Thinking Big - What you need now is an Induced Draft fan as well as a forced draft fan - running in tandem. So You can run with about a - minus 3 inch draft on your stack at all times. Just like an Electric Generating Plant Boiler --- LOL --- What the heck - You might as well be the First Mapleteer using Induced Draft --- Cause I ain't brave enough --------

Ausable
06-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Hey -- I don't have a theory -- was hoping You did. The Doc would shoot me full of holes -- lol --

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
so put a fan on the stack up high away from heat? I just might try that

MapLewis
06-26-2011, 09:15 PM
What do you guys think about a 6" stack on a OIL fired 2x6?
I just picked up a used leader rig that (to my surprise) has a 6" stack! The collar on the arch is also 6" round, and not oblong to fit a normal base stack. I plan on purchasing brand new stainless stack, but before i do.. I wonder if I should i somehow enlarge the collar to get the larger draft friendly 8". I have read a few old posts that relate to draft on oil rigs... Sounds like the bigger diameter the better, for oil fired as well? I have a smaller 2x4 rig with an oblong collar and 7" stack...should I swap them out and throw the 8" stack on that? Am I making more out of this than I should?

Thoughts?

Absolutely addicted to this site. Very Informative and equally as entertaining.

Thanks,

Farmboy
07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
MapLewis are you the one that bought the evaporator and sugar shack from Rices Farm over in Wilberham. I just remember they had a leader 2X6 oil fired and it was just sold. I know it was originaly wood fired though. How are your maples after the tornado?

Haynes Forest Products
07-10-2011, 09:41 PM
how did it boil for the last guy? Oil is different than wood when it comes to draft. My 3x10 does better with back pressure you need the heat to stay in the arch and not fly out the flue pipe. With oil the gun has a blower that introduces air then the expanding oil burning adds to the pressure in the arch. Run the rig and see how it goes.

MapLewis
07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Farmboy,

Yep, that is me that purchased the Rices equipment... The 6" Stack collar just looks really small... Looking at the last year (notes) they used the rig, the evap. Rate was all over the board -22-40 gph.. Seems like a really wide range for a 2x6 on oil. I have to buy new stack anyway, and just figured larger draft may help... But I think I will keep it "as is" and blame Haynes if my rate stinks! Hehe
My trees were 1.5 miles from the tornado path... Crazy scary stuff you never ever imagined could possibly happen where we live.

FYI I spent 9 hours cleaning the syrup pan ... I was using dental tools at the end to get rid of the scortch & char... Now I see why people just buy new ones! Transporting that shack on wheels was an adventure as well and a story for another post.

Any other opinions on the 6" stack size on a oil fired 2x6?

Thanks guys!

Farmboy
07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
One reason the gph was all over the place was it could have been different family members running it or employees of the farm because the owner was in his 80s the last time he used it I think. I saw the tornado damage first hand because my best friend lost his house on Waid Rd. It litterly lifted his house off of the foundation and smashed it in the front lawn. While the family was in the basement. There wont be any tapping going on there for a few decades. We salvaged his pans somehow. They were on a block arch outside and survived with out a dent with several trees on them. What other equipment did you get with the sugar shack. Id like to hear the story of moving it. I looked at it a few years ago but they wouldnt sell it. Before i Built my shack. My dad said if I got it to have one of his friends with a landall trailer move it.