PDA

View Full Version : pulling taps, separating cvs from stubbys?

69tapper
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
finally pulled the plug today on 2011, my question is : whats the easiest fastest way to separate check valve spouts from the stubbys that are really stuck together? i should note that the stubbys and cv's were "reset" or tapped in together early to mid season as we had allot of them "loosen up". i should also mention the stubbys are leaders as recommended. thank you!!

batsofbedlam
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
I used 1250 CV's, and 900 were with Lapierre stubbies. We (my wife) reset all of them twice during the season and still some came out of the trees with ease when I pulled them at the end of the season.
I found a pair of pliers and a pair of channel-locks was the easiest way to separate them.

highroadsyrup
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I have been using just 1 pair of channellock pliers, a twist and the whole thing is out of the tree and if the stubby wont come apart, I hold the adp with the pliers and twist the stubby...simple!!

maple flats
04-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I had a helper tap some. The ones I tapped come apart with 1 pr channel locks and a twist of my hand, the helper's taps were apparently set tighter and I need the channel locks AND a pair of vise grips. It is a pain, but the extra production is still worth it. I'll be designing a tool to seperate them if I can come up a working idea. Even though they were set tighter, I see no splitting at tap hole on helpers nor any leaking at my tap holes.

Russell Lampron
04-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm using Lapierre stubby's and straight through's with the Leader CV adapters. I just twist the stubby or straight tap out of the CV with my hand and then use a spout pulling tool to get the adapter out of the tree. I only had 5 out of 648 that I had to use pliers on. I don't tap the stubby into the adapter like it has been recommended in other threads when I tap either. They don't leak and it makes it easier to get them apart later.

danno
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
There's a relatively new maple company out of Syracuse that has come up with a CV/spout puller. Very nice guy. I've heard good things about the puller. Bought mine today. My cv's/adapters were in tight so I know they were not coming out by hand.

http://nextgenmaple.com/Product_Info.html

69tapper
04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm feeling like I didn't fully explain the force in which the stubbys were "hammered" into the cvs.Theres no way a simple little twist and tap is going to loosen these up. The only way we've found to separate them is to hit the connection or taper of the two VERY hard or hold the stubby and the cv with vicegrips,channellocks, etc and twist very hard. the latter tends to chew up the stubby a little and both up take too much time(10000to go). I've been hoping someone has a clever simple fix, tool ,etc. very interested to hear more firsthand experience with nextgenerations spout puller if anyone out there has used one.Maybe i should wait for a fews weeks and let mother nature loosen them up, but i usually like to get everything cleaned up asap.thanks and keep the replies a coming

sapman
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Or there's my method. Most have come apart by hand, but I had several yesterday that were too tight. Forgot my channellocks, so the cv went in my mouth far enough to get the wings on my molars, and twist the stubby really hard. Not recommended. My dentist would lecture me, I'm sure!

3rdgen.maple
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
There's a relatively new maple company out of Syracuse that has come up with a CV/spout puller. Very nice guy. I've heard good things about the puller. Bought mine today. My cv's/adapters were in tight so I know they were not coming out by hand.

http://nextgenmaple.com/Product_Info.html

Yeah and he stole my name lol.

highroadsyrup
04-26-2011, 09:04 AM
I had a helper tap some. The ones I tapped come apart with 1 pr channel locks and a twist of my hand, the helper's taps were apparently set tighter and I need the channel locks AND a pair of vise grips. It is a pain, but the extra production is still worth it. I'll be designing a tool to seperate them if I can come up a working idea. Even though they were set tighter, I see no splitting at tap hole on helpers nor any leaking at my tap holes.

what about a tool that would resemble a ball joint removal tool?

red maples
04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I used cv's with leader stubbies and most I separated by hand with a little twist. I didn't have any come apart during the season either. anyway I just had a few that stuck and just used a smaller pair of channel locks.

ennismaple
04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Since we have cup tees and not the plugs we'll leave our used CV's on the stubbies until we tap next February. The 400 we did that with last year came apart real easy when we tapped this year.