PDA

View Full Version : Hydrovac pump gph

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I am currently using a hydrovac and pumping sap about 2500 feet to the sugar house. It is being pumped through 1 inch pipe. I sometimes have a bottleneck at this point as there is the sap from 4500 taps to be sent to the sugar house. (soon to be 5500). I am considering changing the size of the pump line to increase the flow rate. Since the outflow from the pump housing is only 1 inch, I am concerned that upsizing the line will not help much. Anyone have any idea how much increased flow I could anticipate by changing the line to inch and a quarter?

sapman
04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Without looking at my pump book in the truck I can't tell you anything specific, but it should be substantial. Friction loss #'s change a lot with just one size increase in pipe, especially over such a distance. 1.5" might even be worth it (lots of fun, I know)!

brookledge
04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Do a search on the web for friction loss of water in pipes and you will get the info you need. Spending money upfront on putting in a larger transfer line will save money in energyto pump it that distance
Keith

michiganfarmer2
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
how many inches of vacuum are you getting whit that hydrovac? CFM? Is it oil cooled? Air cooled? liquid ring? Gas engine? Ive considered buying one

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
This particular Hydrovac is 35cfm and is powered by a 9 horse honda. Currently is handling about 2500 taps and is running about 24 to 25 inches (if we are on top of the leaks). It is an oil flood pump. I actually have 2 of them. One pumps sap 4000 feet with 76 feet of head through 1 and 1/4 inch line. I put 15 gallon gas tanks on the engines for longer run times.