PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas evaporator question

John c
04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm considering going the natural gas route for a hobbie scale 2x3 flat pan setup, but I have a few questions.
1.) is the arch design the same as a wood fired arch with a ramp?
2.) does it have to have a stack and air intake, should the stack be 6" like a wood fired arch?
3.) I intend on using 2 pipe burners that have 36" flame area, so does anybody have an opinion on what size pipe diameter I should use for maximum btu?
4.) will 2 pipe burners be enough?
5.) is there a better style burner to use instead of pipe burners?
6.) is anybody willing to take a stab at what my boil off rate might be per hour?

Thanks all. I'm wanting to get busy on this project!

John c.

SDdave
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM
John,

I used 3 turkey friers under my 42" square bulk tank. They averaged out to be approx. 50K BTU. I got on the average of 7 ish gph evaporation rate. I set it on a cinder block arch with no stack, but left small openings on the bottom rows for air flow in. They need to breathe a little. I used propane so I don't know the price difference between nat. gas and propane. My costs per hour were $5. Sounds like a lot but where else can you have fun these days for $5/hr. I was thinking about using pipe burners as well. I have heard though that if you make your own that you need to stock up on drill bits.

Hope this helps to some degree. Would love to see the set up when your done!

SDdave

John c
04-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. Since I posted this thread I have acquired a brand new, industrial, natural Gas, boiler burner that I am still doing some research on, but I think I hit the jack pot on this score! I'm pretty sure the BTU's are out of this world! It measures 24" X 48" and from what my buddy who is in the hvac business says this thing is an absolute monster! Here is a pic of it still in the crate.
I really hope someone here can tell me if it will work great or just ok. My buddy can't really say because he doesn't know much about sugarin, but he laughs and says I better put a controle valve on it so I don't have to run it full bore!
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz81/Bigjohn010672/f881ef14.jpg

jd maple
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
your right it will boil sap in one hurry! I am a commercial hvac tech some things you have to keep in mind is the btu. input of the burner and that you have enough gas supply for the input ( size of meter, size of pipe, length of pipe). You better not run that burner full line pressure or full bore as you said you will need a gas regulator to reduce the line press. If I where you I would have some way to control the pilot separately from the burner. Lighting that main burner with a match, watch your eye brows... manual shut offs to control the flame. And if no automatic or flame failure device you will have to watch this AT ALL TIMES for safety sake, just imagine if the flame goes out and your not around a burnt pan will be the least of your worries.

markct
05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
John,

I used 3 turkey friers under my 42" square bulk tank. They averaged out to be approx. 50K BTU. I got on the average of 7 ish gph evaporation rate. I set it on a cinder block arch with no stack, but left small openings on the bottom rows for air flow in. They need to breathe a little. I used propane so I don't know the price difference between nat. gas and propane. My costs per hour were $5. Sounds like a lot but where else can you have fun these days for $5/hr. I was thinking about using pipe burners as well. I have heard though that if you make your own that you need to stock up on drill bits.

Hope this helps to some degree. Would love to see the set up when your done!

SDdave

no need to stock up on drill bits, i made my 2 pipe burners 30 inch long with 196 holes each and didnt even need to sharpen the bit once

John c
05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
your right it will boil sap in one hurry! I am a commercial hvac tech some things you have to keep in mind is the btu. input of the burner and that you have enough gas supply for the input ( size of meter, size of pipe, length of pipe). You better not run that burner full line pressure or full bore as you said you will need a gas regulator to reduce the line press. If I where you I would have some way to control the pilot separately from the burner. Lighting that main burner with a match, watch your eye brows... manual shut offs to control the flame. And if no automatic or flame failure device you will have to watch this AT ALL TIMES for safety sake, just imagine if the flame goes out and your not around a burnt pan will be the least of your worries.

Thanks for the info, good stuff! I will be taking my time gettin it hooked up and runnin with safety in mind!