PDA

View Full Version : Steam Kettle

OneLegJohn
04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
I have contemplated a Groen 40 quart steam kettle for heating candy syrup, maple coated nuts, and even maple BBQ/mustard. How long does it take a unit to reach temperature using 240V single phase? Do they make 20 or 40 quart steam kettles with a draw off valve so it could be doubled as a canner? I would like both a steam kettle and water jacket canner, however, budget is limited. Any clever ideas?

Haynes Forest Products
04-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Its the steam kettle part I dont understand. I use a water jacketed coffee maker that is 5 gallons X 2 tanks. I was surprised how fast it took cold syrup to 190-200 about 90 min. Its a RU300 and it can boil if you want it to. I paid $295.00 on Ebay. Works great:)

upsmapleman
04-24-2011, 06:35 AM
I will tell you my experience. I bought a used 40 qt propane unit. It heats the syrup up super fast. My proplem was trying to reach the temps. necessary to make candy. The pressure would build up and the pop off valve would blow off. Not sure if there is something wrong with my unit or if they are not designed to reach temps that high. It would be ideal if it worked because you would not burn the syrup, but I could not get it to go high enough. Like I said there could be something wrong with mine.

Dale

OneLegJohn
04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
I will tell you my experience. I bought a used 40 qt propane unit. It heats the syrup up super fast. My proplem was trying to reach the temps. necessary to make candy. The pressure would build up and the pop off valve would blow off. Not sure if there is something wrong with my unit or if they are not designed to reach temps that high. It would be ideal if it worked because you would not burn the syrup, but I could not get it to go high enough. Like I said there could be something wrong with mine.

Dale

Dale,

What pressure does it reach? I heard the Steam Kettles will get up to 295F. How fast does it get your syrup to temp? Is it a Groen?

upsmapleman
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
My kettle is a Groen, fired by propane. Like I said it could be something wrong with my kettle. I bought it off Ebay. It gets syrup boiling in just a few minutes. It worked fine until my syrup reached up into the 230s and then pressure would climb and the pop off valve would pop. I forget what valve it had on it 20 or 30 lbs of pressure. I used it for awhile to heat the syrup and get it going then dump into a stock pot to finish. If it would take it to temps you want it would be ideal. Two or three times faster and you never have to worry about burning. Maybe someone else has one they use and how it works.

Dale

lew
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
upsmapleman,

When you first fire up your kettle, does it have any vacuum showing on the gauge? I believe it should. Our Groen 30 gal. kettle is supposed to have 10 to 15 inches of vacuum when you start it up. Ours sits for long periods of time before we use it (3-4 months) and the vacuum leaks off. Without the vacuum at start up, the pressure builds rapidly in the kettle and you cannot reach the desired temperatures. If you fire up your unit and wait until it gets between 5 and 10 psi then trip the pressure relief valve to release all the pressure you have built up, you have pushed out most of the air and in effect created a vacuum. Now you can continue to run the unit and build pressure as normal, but you will get higher temperatures. this came from my original operating instructions from our kettle. I only use the kettle for making cream, so I am not sure what the maximum temperature could be reached.

brookledge
04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
If you look at this site you will see that water will boil at temps high enough to anything you need with syrup. Maybe you need to get a heavier psi valve but make sure it is rated to do so.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-point-water-d_926.html
Keith

upsmapleman
04-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I have let the pressure off before. Especially when it pops off. It builds back up again. By looking at the chart you need to go to near 30 lbs of pressure. My valve may not be that heavy. Will have to check with Groen I may be able to install a heavier pop off. If you went to 295 you would need a fairly heavy valve. I make it to cream stage but when I try to get to candy it will pop off a couple of times.

Dale

OneLegJohn
05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I picked up my 10 gallon steam kettle today. Looking forward to making some stuff on Wednesday. Definitely a piece of industrial equipment. If I had to do it over, I would have bought a 40 gal Groen only because it can be used as a jacketed canner as well. I'm happy with the purchase, however, if the maple equipment companies are smart - they will take note of how Groen does it.

brookledge
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I have a 80 gal groen that I picked up years ago from a college. I thought I might some day set it up but never have. So I think I'll take som pics of it and sell it.
Keith

OneLegJohn
05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Fired up the steam kettle for a test boil. It took 45 minutes to boil 5 gallons of water. Not sure how long it will take to make 5 gallons of syrup to candy. I'm impressed with this piece of equipment.