PDA

View Full Version : rail gasket insulation

philkasza
04-22-2011, 06:21 AM
I was wondering if there is any difference between 1" insulation or 1/2" if not I was thinking of buy enough 1" to do my whole rail and arch.

Haynes Forest Products
04-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Well lets see..................I came to the conclusion that there is a 1/2" difference:) Depending on the arch rails and the pans surface as far as being tight and straight. You dont give us alot to go one as far as why your getting the insulation in the first place. If its only for the rail get the 1". It will compress and stick to the pans so thick is good.

Sugarmaker
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Rail gasket:
Looking for a stiffer gasket material that I can fasten to the AOF round pipe and hold in place with maybe stainless pop rivets every 6 inches. The soft pan gasket just fell to pieces as I had to remove the front pan a half a dozen times this year. Any suggestions?
Chris

mapleack
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Rail gasket:
Looking for a stiffer gasket material that I can fasten to the AOF round pipe and hold in place with maybe stainless pop rivets every 6 inches. The soft pan gasket just fell to pieces as I had to remove the front pan a half a dozen times this year. Any suggestions?
Chris

You need woven ceramic gasket.

Sugarmaker
04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Andy,
Any idea where this is available? I will try to search. But if you have a source let me know. That's what I love about this site, someone has the idea or the answer.
Regards,
Chris

buck3m
04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Andy,
Any idea where this is available? I will try to search. But if you have a source let me know. That's what I love about this site, someone has the idea or the answer.
Regards,
Chris

http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=12

maple flats
04-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I use the door gasket material that is for outdoor wood stoves. I used to be a dealer and had some left. It works far better than the ceramic (fiber glass looking) type, and lasts much longer. No I do not have any extra, but try to find a Taylor waterstove dealer and get the door gasket (others might use the same. It is a flame proof fabric covering over a ceramic rope about 1/2-5/8" diameter. The covering is just a layer wraped over and back onto itself, when cut and looking at the end, it looks like a simple loop with a tail on one side, the tail is about 1/2" long.

Dennis H.
04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I used the 1" pan gasket that is ceramic blanket that is cut into a 2" strip. It worked but it was kind of a pain. When I had to remove the pan to clean it part of the gasket stuck to the pan. Now there was still plenty left to still work fine.
The other thing with it that I found is that it won't compress down too much. I had planned for about 1/2" gap below the flues, it ended up being more like 1". The pan gasket just didn't compress enough.

I am going to get some 1" woven gasket for this season.

I picked up the woven gasket years past at a local wood stove dealer. He carried all sorts of sizes and styles. Flat and round. different widths and thicknesses.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Get the woven rail gasket that the maple guys sell that buck listed. It is awesome and I am one the fourth year with the same gasket and I run my evaporator as hot as anyone.

Haynes Forest Products
04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
I had some pan dividers made for me by a fellow trader that makes other equipment and its made with the roll rail gasket that I got from Roth Sugar Bush. There made out of sheet SS that is bent into a still frame that holds it between the pans I had 6 made and they work fantastic. They are 40" long and sit on the arch rails. The 2 I used all season look like new after 30 changes. They are thin enough so the pans fit snug and if the fire blanket needs replacing its easy to pull out and replace with new. The problem I had with ones I made the pop rivits hit the pans and held them apart. With the SS holders only the blanket is touching the pans.