PDA

View Full Version : plumbing two pans

supersapper
04-21-2011, 01:24 PM
what is the desired way to hook two pans together. i have one 2x2 flat that i want to add a divider to. that would be my "sap" pan and have another one made with two dividers for the "finish" pan. i am open to all ideas!!!

Bucket Head
04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Do your pans have a threaded fitting welded/soldered on them? If not, can you get fittings put on them? That way you could solder up a pipe with a union on it and connect the two that way. My pans were like that originally.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I see alot of them plumbed together with food grade radiator hose and screw clamps. Yup Napa has high heat rubber hose I see being used to join pans. My old english tin pans used the old style brass compression pea trap fittings with rubber inside as a seal. They were nice and easy to R and R and they had play and give in them.

supersapper
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
the pan i have now does have a 3/4"nipple welded on but not in the proper spot. right in the middle. i will have another one put in the corner. should the plumbing be inside or outside the pans?:confused:

Bucket Head
04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't quite follow you on the inboard plumbing. The plumbing on my original pans were outboard. The rear pan had a fitting on the side at the front and the front pan had a fitting at the rear. That way there was only a short connector pipe with a union.

Steve

SeanD
04-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Have a couple of stainless female couplings welded into the corners on the outside of the pans. Then you can do whatever you need to do. Definitely put a union in and I'd highly recommend putting in a valve as well so you can close off the raw sap from the sweet in your front pan when you are done boiling for the night. If you put the valve on the sap side of the union, you'll also have the option of being able to pull the front pan off or flip it around.

Sean

PerryW
04-22-2011, 06:21 AM
With flat pans, you can get away with dippering sap from the back pan to the front pan.

jmayerl
04-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Heres what I have to connect my 2x4 flat pan to my 2x2 flat pan. I had my pan maker weld on 3/4 fittings and then plumbed in between. with all the fitting and valves on both sides it was around $100. worked great and the valve allowed some flow control from the front and rear and also allowed me to remove the front pan to clean it.

supersapper
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
i figured it would be outside but you never know till you ask! thanks for the help, especially with the union and valve.