PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and con's to steel pan ?

smokeyamber
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I currently use a barrel arch with hotel pans and would like to up my evap rate a bit. I have two options, either use stainless and solder or use steel and weld. I am leaning toward steel since I have a mig and can make it easier. Would I use anything special besides normal sheet steel ( new )?

For Stainless I have a line on some brushed stainless steel sheets for 100 bucks per sheet, was wondering if the brushed will have issues with cleaning ?

For the channels on say a 2x6 how many and how wide would I go ?

Looking forward to next year already ! :)

Bucket Head
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
How thick is the stainless sheet steel you have access to? Depending on what it is, you may be able to MIG weld that successfully. Really thin stuff needs a TIG machine. I would go with the stainless, but a steel pan will work also. Our first flat pan was mild steel. However, if you have stainless availiable you should go with that. The brushed surface won't be that big of a deal when it comes to cleaning. The pan will look nicer being stainless and it wil have a good resale value to it if you should sell it and expand in the future. The most bang for your buck, overall, would be to put the money and time into making the pan out of stainless.

I really could'nt offer a suggestion on divders for a single 2x6 pan. I have never used one like that and never took notice of the number of dividers on the few that I have seen. I'm sure some other folks will reply that have experience with those pans.

Steve

Jeff E
04-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Every manufactured pan is stainless. That should say something. The issues with rust contaminating your syrup would make me nervous.

brookledge
04-21-2011, 08:45 PM
If you made a steel pan obviously it will rust. Even though you could probably clean it up while being used for boiling I think the biggest problem you will have is when someone sees it. Your customers expect a good product, when the word gets out that you use unsanitary pans it will hurt your reputation.
My vote is for food grade stainless
Keith

smokeyamber
04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback, the stainless sheets are 20 gauge. Why would new mild steel that is properly cleaned not be food grade ? Just don't know what goes into that designation:confused:. I don't sell my syrup, but I certainly don't want to contaminate it in any way.:(

I do keep my eyes open for used pans, but since what I am looking to make is so simple I would like to make it myself if possible. I have all the fittings I need on the current setup so I only need to make the pan and add the dividers. Migging the 20 gauge could be a bit tricky so I was considering soldering with lead free silver solder ( I used this on the hotel pans for fittings with good results ).

Anyone do something like this already ?

Ausable
04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback, the stainless sheets are 20 gauge. Why would new mild steel that is properly cleaned not be food grade ? Just don't know what goes into that designation:confused:. I don't sell my syrup, but I certainly don't want to contaminate it in any way.:(

I do keep my eyes open for used pans, but since what I am looking to make is so simple I would like to make it myself if possible. I have all the fittings I need on the current setup so I only need to make the pan and add the dividers. Migging the 20 gauge could be a bit tricky so I was considering soldering with lead free silver solder ( I used this on the hotel pans for fittings with good results ).

Anyone do something like this already ?

Howdy - I agree - Stainless is Pretty and has Eye appeal and The Evaporator Manufacturers all flocked to it - cause it sells and holds up. When Tours are given thru the - built for tourists sugar shacks - You hear OOOOhs and Ahhhhs as the gleaming stainless beauty makes steam and maple syrup ----Hmmmmmmm! All that MONEY and that Stainless Beauty can ONLY make Steam and Maple Syrup? Why I have one or those - nasty - dirty - rusty - cheap - steel rigs that cost next to nothing to build -- and guess what? It makes Steam and Maple Syrup toooooo and Folks just love the syrup. I'm one of those Syrup Makin Cousins called a Backyarder and I Love makin maple - but - can't afford stainless ----sooooo -- I hang my head in shame and continue to make make syrup as a Hobby.......LOL ..... Mike

Bernie/MA
04-22-2011, 12:55 PM
I made a 2x4 pan for my son-in-law that works good. I put one divider crossways in the center and used 2 dividers crossways 8" apart for the back end making 3 sections. I then put 3 dividers lengthways in the front end making 4 sections 6" apart. The sap flows so it ends at the drawoff midway on the side, where the most heat is. The pan is flat the whole length.
The 18x36" flat pan I made for my grandson (his son) has 2 dividers 6" apart. We tried it both ways and it works best with the drawoff next to the stack.

smokeyamber
04-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Ausable... thanks for the reality check !:D Sheetmetal is likely in my future, just don't have a operation that needs to impress anyone.:rolleyes: Like you I keep it cheap and simple. What size pan do you have ? Is it divided ? I was thinking of making mine divided and reversable. Current pans may be re-tasked as prewarmers or may build the infamous filing cabinet arch for the kids to boil on :lol:

smokeyamber
04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Bernie/MA, just the kind of info I needed ! I like the idea of putting the take-off close to the stack and the dividers sound good too ! How tall are your sides/dividers ? Are your pans stainless ? Did you weld or solder ?

Ausable
04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I currently use a barrel arch with hotel pans and would like to up my evap rate a bit. I have two options, either use stainless and solder or use steel and weld. I am leaning toward steel since I have a mig and can make it easier. Would I use anything special besides normal sheet steel ( new )?

For Stainless I have a line on some brushed stainless steel sheets for 100 bucks per sheet, was wondering if the brushed will have issues with cleaning ?

For the channels on say a 2x6 how many and how wide would I go ?

Looking forward to next year already ! :)

What You use to build it with is your business and Stainless is pretty and shiny and I won't argue that. You asked about pan sizes - Mine is made from steel and is a 2' x 5'. When my Son and Grandson built it or me - they first made the 2' x 5' pan and then the deviders were added. The 2 Sap Pans are 12" x 24" and the 3 Syrup Pans are 8" x 36". Between the sap pans and the first syrup pan I have an isolation plug and beteen the second and last syrup pan I have another Isolation plug. These are very handy when shutting down for the night to isolate the three areas and keep the sweet from blending together and also when running out of sap and chasing the sweet with water to keep from scorching the pans. I would not make the syrup pans less then 8" wide so a scoop can be used when needed. I realize Yours will be one foot longer than mine but the pan widths would work for you. Hey the very best of luck and I know whatever You build it with - it will be good. --- Mike

Bernie/MA
04-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Both sides and dividers are the same, 8" in the 2x4 and 6" in the 18x36". Both pans are MIG welded aluminum .090 thick. These are number 5 and 6 aluminum pans I've built with absolutely no problems. However, none have ever been burnt which I'm almost certain would ruin them.
The small one is on a simple frame that sits on concrete blocks with a hanging door and 8" stack. My g-son boiled 2-3 gph and made 5 gallons of good syrup from 10 taps, boiling after school and weekends for 3 weeks.