PDA

View Full Version : help w/coarse crunchy sugar

pierre
04-21-2011, 09:04 AM
i had a recipe that boiled to?temp. than pour it into a wood bowl then you would grind it with a cheese grader and get a coarse crunchy,like sugar.
it was really good . if you could help i would greatly appreciate it thanks:(

Mapleman(Greg)
04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Some will laugh but I never have trouble then I just stir it in the container I boil in till it turns then I scrape it out crush it up a little with my spoon then I use a motar and Pestle from africa an Insheli to crush it up some more

briansickler
04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
i had a recipe that boiled to?temp. than pour it into a wood bowl then you would grind it with a cheese grader and get a coarse crunchy,like sugar.
it was really good . if you could help i would greatly appreciate it thanks:(

What is it that you are attempting to make? Granulated sugar? If so, cook to 255-265 degrees and stir continuously until it turns to granulated sugar.

pierre
04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
i have boiled to 260* then used a mixer and it turns to sugar looks just like regular sugar. you no what it looks like just before it turns to sugar light in color airry & coarser thats what im trying to get

SDdave
05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe a little off topic, but how much in lbs do you get from a gallon of syrup? I may want to try this out.

SDdave

Sugarmaker
05-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Should get about 8 lb of sugar give or take from a gallon of syrup.
Good luck. Be careful it is very hot and releases steam when stirring.
We go to 260 F for granulated sugar.(crumb)
Chris

maple2
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
we cook to 260. let it cool in pan till grains start to form on top.then start stirring. a gallon should make you about 7.5lbs. darker syrup makes bigger grains

maple2
05-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Not to change the subject but...made a 2 gallon batch of candy last nite, with a machine, batch came out perfect except for a few white ones. Made another batch tonite, same syrup, same temp, same molds, etc.. Half the candy came out white. Can't figure it out. No rhyme or reason. Any suggestions? Driving me nuts!

Mapleman(Greg)
05-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Was your weather the same both nights Minor changes in humidity can really throw Maple off

pierre
05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
What is it that you are attempting to make? Granulated sugar? If so, cook to 255-265 degrees and stir continuously until it turns to granulated sugar.i'm trying to make the crunchy crumbly stuff you put in those shaker jars not the fine sugar

SPILEDRIVER
05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
gotta make more myself this weekend....butchering hogs and i gotta have it for maple cured bacon:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: