PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pans

jimsudz
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Is it safe to use pipeline cleaner to clean pans? What is a safe time to leave set in pan? Will hot water work or do I need to put a fire under it? Thanks for any tips.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
You can get 2 gallon of vinegar at Sams Club for $ 3.36 and bring it to a simmer with the pans filled to above whatever needs cleaned and then let them set for a few days and they should be like new. I put 2 gallon in my syrup pan and 2 gallon in my flue pan on my 2x8 if that helps. It is food grade and no poisonous chemicals involved.

Jeff E
04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
another question regarding pans.
How often, if ever, do most of you clean your flue pans during the season?
I keep my syrup pan clean, but keep the sap pan 'sweet' all season long.
With the piggy back it would be a big job to clean mid way in the season, but if syrup quality jumps up, it is worth it.

vtmapleman
04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
This year I had to clean my front pan about every third boiling - sugar sand really built up. I did increase the level of sap in the front pan to 2" and that seem to really work. I never clean my back pan during the season - way to much trouble lifting the pre-heater, hood, etc off.

Haynes Forest Products
04-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I clean mine once a year. I'm thinking of getting a small power washer wond and doing it thru the hood doors. I would drain and power wash with clear water only and run the sweet thru the filter press back into the flue pan. I plan on hooking up the shop vac to the 2" flue pan drains to speed up the crap removal.

Grade "A"
04-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I put some water from my RO in my syrup pan overnight (after draining the sweet off) and it eats the sugar sand off the pans. It workes as good as a acid wash.

maple maniac65
04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I completly cleaned mine twice during the season. I just lift the steamaway off with a cable lift system and power wash everything after a acid soak.

sap retreiver
04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
what does the vinegar do to english tin? will it be safe

brookledge
04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't use any acid on english tin pans. vinegar is acidic and will eat the coating of nitre on the lead solder and it will leach more lead into your syrup than if things are coated.
Keith