PDA

View Full Version : Cycle power?

RunInCircles
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ok, I'll admit from the start I'm likely in over my head with this one, but I figured you're all a good bunch and can tell me how far off the path of reality I may be falling haha...

So I have this shack out in the woods, a half-mile from any electricity and although I do have a generator, I'd really rather avoid using it for any length of time.

Now, I'd like to add forced air to my 2.5x8 rig in the future.

How about engineering a blower driven by bicycle? I've never done anything like this (no welding experience either), but I figure it's simple enough in principle that it could work, right? Could the gears be configured to generate the RPMs necessary? Assume for a minute that I or some of my eager athletic assistants would be willing to take turns to keep the thing running for hours on end...

(I also considered the other mechanical needs, ie pumps and filter press, but figured I could deal with firing up the generator for those types of processes...)

John c
04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea and should be quite simple, however pedaling that bike in the same room as the arch will be pretty darn HOT! Maybe you could have it outside with a duct leading to the arch. I love these kinds of projects!:)

CBOYER
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
When i was young i know a man that have put bicycle strap and pulleys on a water piston pump to dont pay to much electricity. Could use your headtank as reserve power, and cycle a pump to return up.:rolleyes:

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Well at least you will get off the bike/generator to fire so you wont have to worry about shutting the draft door. You can get a race jersey with all the Manufactures on it West Fab, CDL, Rapid tube, Jim Shumacher, Maple Guys.

Kev
04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
when I lived in Phz in the early 80's a guy hooked up his tv to a small generator. The only way they could watch tv was pedal, if they pedaled faster than needed they could store a small amount of tv time in a battery :)

Big_Eddy
04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
If you're going to do it, get a large flywheel made. The flywheel will take a bit of pedalling to get up to speed, but once it does, it will take the variation out of the process and keep your fan humming along at a constant speed, even when you get off to feed wood into the fire. A blower fan does not take a lot of power - even a full furnace fan will run on 1/6th horsepower - so is well within the abilities of a decent cyclist to maintain.

Take pictures along the way.

sniperdodo
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
WOW thats a cool idea. Here is a quick sketch showing 1 way to achieve your goal. Assuming an average of 90 RPMs on your bike you can get 1385 RPMs with a little gearing. That combined with the right fan blades you will easily get over 100 CFMs over your fire. Good luck and post some pics if you "git-R-dun".:)

sniperdodo
04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Its kinda hard to read the fine print. I am showing two 51 tooth sprockets and two 13 tooth sprockets. Both common bicycle sizes

Mike Wacker
05-08-2011, 07:38 AM
How about taking a deep cycle battery and a small (say 300 watt) inverter to power your blower. Charge the battery when the genny is running or periodically so you don't have to constantly listen to the genny.

Too many miles on my sorry butt to do the bike thing. ;o)

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
http://imamook.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/sheriff-joe-arpaio-introduces-pedal-power-tv/

this should answer all questions:D

Rossell's Sugar Camp
06-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Thats a great idea. A blower will not use much power though so a small dc motor could be used and you could use the bike to charge the battery that powers the motor. If you know a thing or two about electricity it should be an easy thing to do.

06-28-2011, 08:43 AM
How about a friction drive from the bike on to a car alternator hooked to a battery

Beweller
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Before you guys get carried away, check how much power you can expect to develop. Some old references, for a laborer, give values around 40 watts for a 6 hour day.

CBOYER
06-29-2011, 05:05 PM
as per test on bicycle racers, a man in continuous effort, could deliver 75 w,
8 h x 75w =.6kw for a day at max energy..

KenWP
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
You guys don't have wind down there.Try a windmill and save the effort to chop wood.