PDA

View Full Version : OD for 5/16" tubing

Luneyburg
04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Could not find it in a search but wondering what the OD of 5/16" tubing . Gathering food grade buckets with tops and want to get some grommets to install in the lids for tubing to be inserted into .

thanks
Lune

DrTimPerkins
04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Could not find it in a search but wondering what the OD of 5/16" tubing . Gathering food grade buckets with tops and want to get some grommets to install in the lids for tubing to be inserted into

Both the OD and ID varies somewhat depending on the manufacturer and type of tubing (and sometimes the individual run during which it was made). Best to get the tubing you want to use and put some calipers to it.

Why do you want to put grommets in the lid? Probably not needed.

Homestead Maple
04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Could not find it in a search but wondering what the OD of 5/16" tubing . Gathering food grade buckets with tops and want to get some grommets to install in the lids for tubing to be inserted into .

thanks
Lune

Depends on the brand you buy. Each producer of tubing has different outside diameters because of the wall thickness and the grade of the tubing...... 10yr., 15yr., etc.

PerryW
04-20-2011, 04:21 PM
If you use a 7/16" tapping bit, you don't even need the grommet. just bore through the plastic

Luneyburg
04-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Dr. Tim , wanted to put a hole directly in the center as the buckets will be sitting on the ground(probably in snow) and thought it might help on windy days to have the tube inserted perhaps a few inches to stabilize them and keep them from being blown around .

Seems logical but who knows perhaps an overkill. Also would help in keeping containments from entering the sap such as dirt, bark, and even possibly bugs in late season if there is a tight seal around the tube .

Dr. Tim and Homestead thanks for the response , seems it would make sense to purchase the tubing and then seek grommets to fit it.

Perry I plan on using Tree Saver 5/16" spouts attached to tubing dropped into food grade buckets, along with a few runs of tubing to collection tanks if finances permit. Small scale hobby setup to get started .

Thank you all for your responses as you have probably saved me some cash as I know now to purchase the tubing first then fit the grommets to it .

thanks kindly
Lune

DrTimPerkins
04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Seems logical but who knows perhaps an overkill. Also would help in keeping containments from entering the sap such as dirt, bark, and even possibly bugs in late season if there is a tight seal around the tube.

Might be better to put it in the side of the bucket near the top. That way rainwater won't get in, the dropline won't sit in the sap, and you can easily remove the lid to dump.

TF Maple
04-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I use the size Y drill bit for the holes in the top of my pails. It is a very tight fit to get the tubing in and no water leaks in when it sits on the cover. I know this for a fact because one tree this year was leaking sap up high and falling on one pail. It was very dark colored sap on the cover and inside the pail the sap was always clear. Not sure why grommets would be needed?

Luneyburg
04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Dr. Tim thanks for the suggestion , believe I have seen some pictures somewhere here of the method your suggesting and looked quite slick .

Been quite a few years since I have sugared and then was quite a few buckets (hung though) so trying to figure out the best cost effective and of course that means least labor intensive method . Like the fact of this method making dumping the buckets easier .

TF Maple
thanks for your input appreciate it and all responses ,great place here !

"Not sure why grommets would be needed?" Probably just my OCD kicking in .:)
thanks again everyone

Z/MAN
04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I drill a 7/16 hole in the lid and install an old blue 7/16 tap on the end of the drop. You can push the tap all the way into the hole and it doesn't let a drop of rainwater in.

Luneyburg
04-22-2011, 05:34 AM
I drill a 7/16 hole in the lid and install an old blue 7/16 tap on the end of the drop. You can push the tap all the way into the hole and it doesn't let a drop of rainwater in.

Interesting , great Idea Zman . Dont have any old taps but sounds like that would work like a charm
thanks man