PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Confused!

Father & Son
01-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Just west of Meadville today I saw buckets out that weren't there Sunday. Being new at this I was going to wait till I saw others tapping, counting on their experience. Listening to all the other posts this area doesn't usually tap until the second or third week of Feb. Maybe I'll hang one bucket and see what kinda flow I get. Or maybe not! Oh what's a person to do :?
Jim

Sugarmaker
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Jim,
Go for it! When I was a big kid 14-15 we tapped in end of Jan several times ,<<<<< BUT we were using the pill to keep the tap holes open for as long as we wanted to keep the taps out. I usually consider that taps last about 6 weeks max when the weather is right, If we get hot weather they may not last nearly that long. A trial tap will probably drive you more crazy than no tap. If you tap now I expect you may still be able to get sap till mid March. Tap when you are ready and feel the time is right. This would be a good time to hunt down the guy that tapped near Meadville and go see him boil. As you know when you start you cant get out to see others boiling.
Probably the toughest weather to make syrup is on a 65 degree spring day when the temp in the sugarhouse is about 110.