PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Taps

doocat
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I am curious what the concensus is for pulling taps and washing lines. Do larger producers wash or just pull taps with vacuum on?

Thanks,
Craig

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Most of the huge producers don't do anything but pull the taps out of the trees. They let the first runs and vacuum clean them at the start of next year.

ennismaple
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
We pull our taps with the vacuum on and suck a bit of warm water through the head tap to flush most of the crud out of the lines. It may be overkill but we can wash up everything in 3 days.

PerryW
04-20-2011, 05:59 AM
The idea of letting the first run run on the ground is good in theory, but in my sugarbush, the colder taps often won't run until the second or third run.

I just rinse my lines with water. The one year I didn't, my first 10 gallons of syrup had an off-flavor.

maple flats
04-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I pull taps and suck a little hydrogen peroxide solution thru. Then I remove the CV and plug the stubby onto the tee plug. I carry my solution in a couple of 2 gal thermos type jugs and dispense into 24 oz containers with a large mouth and screw cap to carry while pulling. 2 of these carry enough to go up one latteral and back down the next. Then I refill and repeat. When I use up the sanitizing solution I return to the truck, where I have a tank full of water, and a jug of the H2O2. I use a plastic syringe to measure and mix and return to the bush. Usually 4 gal solution lasts until either lunch time or supper time so the refill trips are minimal.
The H2O2 I use is food grade 35% and I use 1/2 oz. in each gal of water.

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Pulled under vacuum and took note of any problem sections that didnt get good vacuum and plug. Next season I tap and used the sap to clean the tanks. Then rince the tanks with good clear sap and get to cooking. Mines as good as your;)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I wash mine and I am in the same boat as Glen Goodrich, I don't want the first run running on the ground. I met let a couple of gallon that is trickling out while I am tapping, but that is it.

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Dr P has proven that there is bacteria that you cant get out of tubing and drop lines. So if you wash and allow water to sit in the lines all year dont you have dirty lines. Now if my lines get a snot after a year and it comes out during taping and the first runs. Doesn't spoiled sap clean evaps how about sap lines.

markcasper
04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
There are some around here that don't even pull the taps at the end, just drill a new hole next year, pull and reinsert. I wonder how many of those spouts are plugged with crap. Hmmmm.....could that be part of the low production??

TF Maple
04-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Dr P has proven that there is bacteria that you cant get out of tubing and drop lines. So if you wash and allow water to sit in the lines all year dont you have dirty lines. Now if my lines get a snot after a year and it comes out during taping and the first runs. Doesn't spoiled sap clean evaps how about sap lines.

This is probably true but if it takes a week for all the trees to get running (I have some trees that take longer to wake up) then you have a week of crap coming out. Maybe if you flush with some water at the season start it would fix that issue.

ennismaple
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
There are some around here that don't even pull the taps at the end, just drill a new hole next year, pull and reinsert. I wonder how many of those spouts are plugged with crap. Hmmmm.....could that be part of the low production??

If they read all Dr Tim's posts and articles abour biofilm and increased production with new plastic they might change their ways! I can't imagine leaving taps in for the year - I feel bad when we miss the odd one here or there. It definitely causes more damage to the tree than promptly pulling the taps.