PDA

View Full Version : Maple sand?

5050racing
04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
What do you do with it when you get a little on the bottom of the jar?and I refilled some smaller jars after boiling it again and filtering it again they should be clear.The second filtering it seems like it sugar,can you eat it or is it no good?

happy thoughts
04-19-2011, 06:22 PM
there's a chart of common components of sugar sand on this website. It's mostly mineral salts and organic acids.
http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?page=nutritionalinformation

I wouldn't go put of my way to eat it. The taste is gritty and kind of icky, but as long as you're certain that none of your collecting or procesing equipment contains lead then it's not going to kill you. Lead could be a big component of sugar sand if your sap or syrup comes in contact with it during sap collection, storage and/or processing.

5050racing
04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I hate to waste something that takes so much effort to make.I don't plan to eat it but was wondering what it's make-up was.No lead here stainless all the way welded.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
every time you bring syrup to a boil you create more sugar sand, if you want to filter a second time just take it up to 190 to 200 re-filter then start canning. Thats what I do and it comes out pretty darn good.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
there's a chart of common components of sugar sand on this website. It's mostly mineral salts and organic acids.
http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?page=nutritionalinformation

I wouldn't go put of my way to eat it. The taste is gritty and kind of icky, but as long as you're certain that none of your collecting or procesing equipment contains lead then it's not going to kill you. Lead could be a big component of sugar sand if your sap or syrup comes in contact with it during sap collection, storage and/or processing.

Back in the mid 90's the state of VT wanted a sugar maker to send them a sample of syrup that was made on a rig with lead solder. So my bro in law did so and the result he was given if memory is correct was the amount of trace lead in the finished product wasn't any thing really to speak of
Dr. Tim do you remember this study?

happy thoughts
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Back in the mid 90's the state of VT wanted a sugar maker to send them a sample of syrup that was made on a rig with lead solder. So my bro in law did so and the result he was given if memory is correct was the amount of trace lead in the finished product wasn't any thing really to speak of
Dr. Tim do you remember this study?

Here's some info available online about sugar sand and lead written in part by Dr Perkins....

http://maplesyrup.osu.edu/Keeping%20Lead%20Out%20of%20Maple%20Syrup.pdf

"Sugar sand may contain extremely high amounts of lead, depending on the concentrations of lead in the evaporator. Good filtering is essential for keeping lead out of syrup."

5050racing
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I use all plastic and stainless,so I should be ok I still wont eat it!!

Ausable
04-24-2011, 06:56 PM
What do you do with it when you get a little on the bottom of the jar?and I refilled some smaller jars after boiling it again and filtering it again they should be clear.The second filtering it seems like it sugar,can you eat it or is it no good?

Nitre or sugar sand is like sediment in a bottle of home-made wine - kind of dark and lays on the bottom of the jar or bottle - Filtering usually takes care of it - but - not always and if it bothers you - just decant the syrup and leave the sugar sand behind. You can get maple sugar in your syrup though if you finish your syrup to far - I had a couple of jars at the end of a batch we canned do it and it reminded me of honey comb in a honey jar. It is sugar and can be a mite hard - but - tastes good and when pouring off the syrup with it the syrup will cake a little on the jar rim. Also - it is a challenge to clean the jar - gotta let it soak in really hot water to disolve the maple sugar....... Mike

5050racing
04-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Yeah I was just wondering.