PDA

View Full Version : Maple chewing tobacco!

John c
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
I took a half tin of longcut straight and left the lid off for a day to let it dry out a bit, then I added a teaspoon of maple syrup to it and gave it an hour or so to soak it up.
Not too bad, I will be doing it again!

SPILEDRIVER
04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
LOL dude you either have to much time on your hands or your a serious chew addict!....i became a maple holic cause i gave up all my other addictions like booze...smokes....chewing....all to the glory of god!

John c
04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
LOL dude you either have to much time on your hands or your a serious chew addict!....i became a maple holic cause i gave up all my other addictions like booze...smokes....chewing....all to the glory of god!

To God be the glory!

http://images.acswebnetworks.com/1/407/Marks09-Judgment.pdf

SPILEDRIVER
04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
JAMES chapt.1 vs 1-8 have had the greatest impact on my life....you talk about a mind blowing spirit quikening event...should of been there that night!

red maples
04-20-2011, 06:10 AM
WOW from Chew to Bible stuff!!! funny how these threads go!!!

sounds good...I would love to try it...I quit 4 years ago cold turkey(lots of gum and toothpicks!!) never looked back. Still miss it all the time. especially when I am in the woods!!!!

driske
04-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Hang tough red.
I ditched the chew that had been my constant companion for 27 years. After nearly 6 years off the Copenhagen, I don't think about it anymore.
Yellow Birch twigs have an appealing flavor.IMHO.:rolleyes:

red maples
04-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Skoal guy and a few others when a new on or new flavor would come out and the occational pouch of red man or apple jack.... off and on for OH 17-18 yrs. When I would get to a can a day. I would actually get sick of it. so I 'd quit for a few months and then start over. I game killer for me was really when it got so **** expensive. and if you needed a pinch and you were out and I was in boston or something(used to work there) and it would range from $7-9 a can geez!!! forget it. when I first started I could get for like 2 for $2 . Oh yeah and the bad for your health thing too. 35 was my goal to quit and still going strong!!!

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Years ago one of the prime uses for bulk syrup was the chewing tobacco industry. There was a maple co-op in our town that made 300lb. blocks of sugar and shipped them by rail to Carolina.

Jim Brown
04-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Rum Maple chewing tobacco was around when I was a kid! Wonder what grade of syrup they used back then? I'll bet it wasn't med amber!

Jim

John c
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Years ago one of the prime uses for bulk syrup was the chewing tobacco industry. There was a maple co-op in our town that made 300lb. blocks of sugar and shipped them by rail to Carolina.

Does anybody know the process they used to make the tobacco?

Bucket Head
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
If you guys keep this thread going the ATF bureau is going to be all over us!

Steve

Ausable
04-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Does anybody know the process they used to make the tobacco?
When I was a kid (about 100 years ago) My Dad gave me a book called "Grandfathers Book of Country Things" It was about a Boy raised by his Grandfather in Vermont on a Farm in the 1800's - The Boy would explain how his Grandfather made and did things. For Plug Chewing Tobacco the Old Man raised his own tobacco and when cured had a log that he would drill holes in with a brace and bit - In the hole he would tamp in tobacco leaf and add a little maple syrup and repeat the process till almost filling the hole and then would tap in a wooden plug to seal it. He made several of these holes as this was his years supply of chewing tobacco. They would set for a year to cure and age and then He would split the log section to get at his tobacco plugs.
--this is from memory so might not be accurate - but the idea of it is there -- Mike

John c
04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
When I was a kid (about 100 years ago) My Dad gave me a book called "Grandfathers Book of Country Things" It was about a Boy raised by his Grandfather in Vermont on a Farm in the 1800's - The Boy would explain how his Grandfather made and did things. For Plug Chewing Tobacco the Old Man raised his own tobacco and when cured had a log that he would drill holes in with a brace and bit - In the hole he would tamp in tobacco leaf and add a little maple syrup and repeat the process till almost filling the hole and then would tap in a wooden plug to seal it. He made several of these holes as this was his years supply of chewing tobacco. They would set for a year to cure and age and then He would split the log section to get at his tobacco plugs.
--this is from memory so might not be accurate - but the idea of it is there -- Mike

That sounds like a great book, so I just ordered it on cassette so I can listen to it while I'm working around the house! Thanks for the info!:)

Ausable
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
That sounds like a great book, so I just ordered it on cassette so I can listen to it while I'm working around the house! Thanks for the info!:)

John C -- Thanks for the information - Didn't even dawn om me to do that --- Mike

markcasper
04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
It probably was a great market for the commercial and off flavor stuff. In fact, many maple related books talk about it being used in pipe tobacco, but yet you never see it in the store.