PDA

View Full Version : how to clean sugar sand build-up?

mojo
04-19-2011, 05:30 AM
I have a backyard evaporator with a copper pan. In the last chamber, I have a small, but significant build-up of caked on sugar sand (or whatever it's called, if it's something else!) I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to get it off the pan without hurting the copper. I've tried an electric drill with a wire brush attachment.
marc

adk1
04-19-2011, 05:39 AM
dont you think you should just buy some pan cleaner? Let it soak for a spell?

Flat47
04-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Add some vinegar to hot water in the pans and let it sit over night. Next day all it should take is a stiff brush and a little time. I shoot for 1 gallon of vinegar per 10 gallons of water, but I don't really measure. I just dump a bunch in, light a fire under the pans, and warm the water up to around 200 degrees. The acidic pan cleaners from CDL and Leader are mostly intended for welded pans. Just use vinegar and don't scrub the solder, just brush the niter off.

I've never worked with copper pans, so there may be more to be done to keep the copper from getting that green tint.

OneLegJohn
04-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I use an industrial cleaner for the food industry to clean copper and stainless to like-new condition.

ascutneymaple
05-21-2011, 01:18 PM
its probably too late now but for future reference, you can fill your pans with sap at the end of the season, let it ferment for about a week or two, drain it and rinse it with water, everything comes right out with it.

KenWP
05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I did the sap thing but I boiled the sap till it all fit in the front pan and left it for a couple of weeks.It smells like vineagar and shined the pans right up as I transfered it to each one and let it sit.It is a sort of thick liquid right now.

Dennis H.
05-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I did the vinegar thing this year, my results are just OK.

The flue pan cleaned to what looked like brand new. There wasn't anything left sticking to the flues at all. Well at least not below the water line.

Now the syrup pan was different. I had a heck of a time getting that clean. I did the full strength thing 1st. Started a fire and boiled for a little while. I then poured in hot water to bring the liquid level back up above the dirt line on the pan. simmered for a little while then let the pans set for about 2 weeks.
Every thing came off except a few places that would have been right at the syrup level.

It took quite a bit of scrubing to get that off.

So the vinegar thing works good on the flue but not as good as I was hoping for on the syrup pan. I may try the pan cleaner next year on the syrup pan and use vinegar still onthe flue pan.

red maples
05-22-2011, 05:17 AM
yes vinegar in my flue pan works great but he syrup pan the niter is thicker and requires a little more...and I let it sit over the hot arch with vinegar solution every other boiling unless its a 10 hours boil then I will do it every day. (my pans are welded stainless) what I wanna try for next, and I did this when I had my backyard block arch and roasting pan. Boil birch sap in your pans it will take the niter right off. and the birch sap is still run long after the maple stops. and if you wanna finish it out it makes a strong molasses type syrup. but it will take you 100-120 gallons of sap to get 1 gallon of syrup.

I might pick up some pan cleaner though to finish it out the syrup pan before next year I couldn't get it all out.

I know alot of folks use the fermenting syrup trick but not really wanting to mess with the stink!!! besides drawing flys!!!:rolleyes:

red maples
05-22-2011, 05:22 AM
oh yeah the other thing that might work for copper...some type of tomato product. I know it sounds weird but a layer of ketchup might do the trick I know it'll shine it right up!!!! I have a few copper bottom pots and it shines them right up. it might take a little rubbing but if you put it on cover it with saran wrap so it doesn't dry up and let it sit for a while(try like 24 hrs first) it should take the niter off. hmmm I might even try that on a small spot on my syrup pan why not??? I know if you leave tomato sauce in an aluminum pot it will eat right though it.

maple flats
05-22-2011, 06:13 AM
I like and use the vinegar approach, but I don't know if it should be tried with a copper pan. It might work good or it might turn the copper black. Test a piece of copper tubing in vinegar first to see if it chemically cleans the copper or blackens it. Many acids clean copper but some turn it black.
I suggest you contact Leader, they made copper pans at one time. They will know what is best.

3rdgen.maple
05-22-2011, 09:16 AM
I have a copper pipe in my flue pan I put it in a few years ago to help with the backflow of sap into the float box. The vinegar solution cleans it right up BUT it takes the shine right away from it and turns it to a dull non shiny looking peice of copper. I wouldnt recomend using it in a copper pan it must eat it or something to loose that shine like it does.

Haynes Forest Products
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I have an idea clean your pans during the season and do it often. Get a schedule and keep to it. We should combine 2 threads making lite syrup and pan cleaning. They go hand in hand. Its like your car a quick trip thru the spray wash every week verses having it power washed at the ship yard every 2 years because the buildup is so bad. If its a MINERAL build up a light acid like Vinegar will remove it OVER TIME so give it time :rolleyes: