PDA

View Full Version : Reverse flow pan with narrow channels??

Sugarmaker
04-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok all you pan jockeys, time to stretch the old brain a little,
While thinking of new pans this came into the old bean,

Just wondering if on a three foot wide front pan [reverse flow type, old school] would there be any advantages or disadvantages to having the sap channels 6 inches wide vs 9 inches wide?
Six channels vs four channels on a 3 foot wide pan. Are there any of these out there now?
I currently have four 9 inch channels on the King front pan.

I will start with some thoughts:
+ Would you take off smaller batches?
+ Could you make any more syrup?
- Would the syrup get darker?
- If there was a advantage why aren't front pans made with narrow channels?
- Might be harder to get in there and weld/solder the seams?
- More connections through the ends of the channels?
- Narrow channel may cool near sides of arch?

Eagerly awaiting your comments too.
Regards,
Chris

3rdgen.maple
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Great question Chris. I have wondered this myself a few times. The empty spot between my ears tells me that draws would be smaller but more often to get you the same end result. I would also think that it would be possibel to produce a slightly better grade since sap isnt in the pan as long, might be little difference but would think there should be some. I also have this little voice saying that reversing the pans might be more beneficial with the smaller but more channels. But heres what would be my concern and not sure if paying for the build would be worth the risk. Making syrup in more than one channel and scortching the pans.

Sugarmaker
04-18-2011, 09:24 PM
3rdgen,
Yes great point, would syrup be more likely to scorch in narrow channels? Hummmm? I have seen it try to do that even in the wide channels. 2 foot wide pans have four, 6 inch wide, channels!
The reverse logic would be then that one big pan would be better and we know that's not how they are built.
I know there might be some extra cost to build but the big boys don't seem to be jumping on the wagon making narrow channel front pans in reverse or cross flow. So maybe they have dialed in the optimum channel size already? I need to know the why and why not? 802 or Brandon may have the answers:)
Could be just another Casbohm rainbow and fuzzy bunny chasing exercise too!
Regards,
Chris

berryrd
04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
hi Chris. I have a homemade front pan on a 30 in wide arch. It was made with 5 dividers. My thoughts are that in the last channel I have a hard time getting it to boil because 1.5 in is on the arch, 3.5 exposed to fire. Also wonder if more steam condenses on the xtra 2 dividers and goes back in the pan.

Haynes Forest Products
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I also spent to much time trying to reinventing the wheel. I'm sure the bigger manufactures have made one but getting the results wont happen. I don't think the smaller channels will produce syrup faster or slower. I do believe it will give you better control and more accurate draws less batching.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I would think you would have less nitre buildup as the sap would be moving thru them faster when you reversed the flow. I think reason they don't build them that way is significant more costs and harder to build.

Sugarmaker
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Haynes,
I think that smaller batch size was one of the things I thought might happen. And if thats the case It might move a little more syrup through too???
Brandon had not thought about niter build up or reduction?
All good comments!
Maybe it's the goldy locks approach. one big flat pan is not good, too much mixing, and a small flue size channel is too small, syrup may scorch? so the happy place is what we see today:) I know this is pretty low tech, boiling water! Also more features may mean harder cleaning. and Like Brandon says areas for sugar sand to build up and scorch.
Some of the old Grimm pans had raised areas trying to pick up more area.

I agree reinventing the wheel comes to mind. But an ox cart wheel wont do dragster burn outs!

Has the wheel been looked at in the last 100 years?:) Next big thing will be the L version PLUS front pan?

Regards,
Chris