PDA

View Full Version : cross flow or reversible better?

borninmaple
04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Looking at the newest equipment from the main dealers it looks like the cross flow systems are more popular than the reversible flow pans. I am not quite sure what the advantages or disadvantages are. I plan on buying a basic 2 by 8 wood evaporator without hoods or blowers and wonder which system would be best. As usual, thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

ennismaple
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
The only regret I have about our evaporator is we should have gotten cross-flow pans instead of reversible. With our setup we'll never reverse the flow and eing able to swap out a 3rd pan for daily cleaning makes cross-flow very attractive!

Haynes Forest Products
04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I do all my work on the one side so reversing and changing sides wouldn't work for me. I could change things around but don't.

H. Walker
04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
I have all new pans within the last 5 years, I went with the reversible design as I had before. I now wish I went with the crossflow and an extra front pan to swap out. I find that no matter how I switch over more times than not I end up making syrup in the middle before I get the flow completely reversed.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
The only regret I have about our evaporator is we should have gotten cross-flow pans instead of reversible. With our setup we'll never reverse the flow and eing able to swap out a 3rd pan for daily cleaning makes cross-flow very attractive!

Just curious why you never reverse the flow. It takes me less than 2 minutes to reverse mine and I never slow down boiling.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-19-2011, 04:12 AM
I went to cross flow 2 years ago. Bought the extra pan and change it every day. I should probably do it more often but I need to get 802 here to help me make the change when everything is going strong so I have enough gumption to try it myself. I think my draws are more consistent and the gradient stays better. I am wood fired on a 4x12 Lightning.

Eric McLellan
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I bought a new CDL rig last year with cross flow pans, wasn't able to reverse flow so had to switch pans every two hours which sucked. This year I purchased the reverse for cross flow pans and it works great. I didn't seem to have a problem with syrup in the middle since when I switch I would draw off about half a pail ( gallon or two) to get the sweet stuff moving the other direction, then dump pail in sweet side to mix it up.

PerryW
04-19-2011, 06:59 AM
DUmb question but .......

Does Cross Flow mean you have to periodically swap out the front pan??? That seems like much more of a hassle than moving the cold sap plug and swapping the dial thermometer & front float.

Mark
04-19-2011, 07:57 AM
I have a 5x14 with cross flow pans. When boiling 16 brix the pans niter up quick and have to shut down sometimes a few times a day to change pans. I changed the piping so I could reverse the pans this year. I know for sure that is not the solution for me and went back to changing out the last cross flow pan. For me reversing just pushed the problem back and forth. If I was just boiling straight sap it would probably be fine but with the niter I get I just have to shut down and get if off the evaporator.

DrTimPerkins
04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Looking at the newest equipment from the main dealers it looks like the cross flow systems are more popular than the reversible flow pans. I am not quite sure what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Kind of a Chevy versus Ford question...personal opinion dictates the answer you'll get.

There are additional options that also complicate things a bit.
1. Cross flow with reversible option.
2. Leader Revolution pans - reverse flow but draws off on same side all the time.
3. Have an extra reverse flow syrup pan to replace every now and then to facilitate cleaning.

Mostly it is a matter of what you've learned on and are used to working with. We have both styles of evaporator here at UVM PMRC....Leader Revolution pans in the production sugarhouse and CDL cross-flow pans in the research facility. Both work well and make fine syrup.

Key thing on cross-flow pans is knowing how to change pans quickly and efficiently (if need be). It isn't difficult once you know how to do it, but seems like a real problem if you don't.

Similarly, reversing flow is not a big deal, but you have to manage it correctly by drawing off a bit when you switch over to put into the new draw-off partition, and then manually draw off a few times early to avoid making syrup in the middle of the pan.

brookledge
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
As far as reversing flow there is no design any quicker than the revolution.
keith

ennismaple
04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Just curious why you never reverse the flow. It takes me less than 2 minutes to reverse mine and I never slow down boiling.

I don't have the space on the one side of the evaporator to reverse the flow.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Ok, makes sense. You need a crossflow pans or a revolution pan.

ennismaple
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Ok, makes sense. You need a crossflow pans or a revolution pan.

The idea has been floated by our CFO (aka Mom). If we didn't have some large repair bills for other things we'd likely do it this year but it looks like a purchase for next summer.

bigtreemaple
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Could you suggest some ways to make the change easier and more efficient?

maplekids
04-22-2011, 06:07 AM
get a reverse flow. with a cross flow pan you will have to shut down and give the pan time to cool. this could take 45 minutes. with a reverse flow this will only take like 2 minutes. if you draw out a pail from both sides and switch them you will not make syrup in the middle

SSFLLC
04-22-2011, 06:51 AM
We went with the revalution. Because of the ease of drawing off on the same side and not having to cool down first. Keith

bigtreemaple
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Dr Tim, Could you suggest some practices that make changing pans easier to manage while boiling?