PDA

View Full Version : Bottle foam

Woody
04-17-2011, 07:15 PM
We bottled yesterday and today some of the bottles have a lot of foam in them and some don't. We don't remember this much foam in previous years and wonder if someone can tell us what might be going on. We cold checked each 5 gallon syrup bucket prior to heating it up to 180 - 190 for bottling and they all checked out pretty close to where they should be.
Pictures show the bottles and foam. Any ideas??

thanks

RipTyd
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
When I was botteling some up the other day one of the bottles had a lot of foam at the top like a head on a beer, I figured that it was not rinsed out good enough and had some soapy residue in it. That one made it into the sink drain and I kept on going , thankfully that was the only bottle that did that.

Haynes Forest Products
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I got the same thing on a few bottles that I bottles off the press when I was running out of syrup. I dont think it will dissipate. I think that foam/bubbles that develop during the bottling proses that build up in the bottle will go away but ones that come from the top of the syrup in the bottler wont go away. If they wont go away during the reheating stage then I think there more than just trapped air.

seclark
04-17-2011, 10:15 PM
when you filled the bottles did you let the syrup run down the inside of the jar or just straight in.I know when I fill bottles I use a coffee urn and let it trickle down the sides or else I get bubbles also and if it foams good it never seems to clear.

tuckermtn
04-18-2011, 04:55 AM
were you using the pantihose method on the filling valve? takes care of 90% of the foaming in my experience. Just hook a small section of pantihose (sp) over the outlet of the bottling valve. Changes the flow and keeps the foam down.

CBOYER
04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Be sure to used food grade pantihose ...:o

danno
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Be sure to used food grade pantihose ...:o

ummm - no I better not ...

Haynes Forest Products
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
............................Never stopped me;)...............................

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Bascoms sells a chrome bottling valve for about $ 20 and put it between your ball valve and the bottle and it will take care of 100% of the foaming problems. It eliminates the foam so much that I have to open it wide open once the container gets close to full just to be able to see the level in it with a LED headlamp on. I never touch the bottling valve and it stays wide open and I open and close the flow with the stainless ball valve behind it. It is a 90 degree valve and it threads right into a 1/2" stainless ball valve.

Haynes Forest Products
04-18-2011, 11:15 PM
If you look inside of a coffee maker valve you will see ridges that are to stop foaming and helps with the liquid dripping after the valve is closed. I noticed that the foam I would get is from the syrup splashing once it hits the bottom of the bottle thats why I tip the bottle just like a pouring a beer.

junior1
04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
has anyone ever tryed to fix this problem. option one can you put the full bottles in water heat the water to roughly 180 190 then let cool. option 2 dump the syrup out reheat the syrup run it through the press again and rebottle. or dump the syrup reheat it and just pour it through an orlon filter into the bottles again. any suggestions/past experience in this matter, about half our syrup ended up this way.

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I dint think reheating the bottles with the syrup in them will work Because I had the micr foam just after I bottled and I couldn't shake them loose or tip the bottle to get them to rise. I think the best thing is to pour out into bottler and reheat to temp and re bottle just dint use the last dregs from the bottler. Thats how I get them its the floaters in the bottler.

Z/MAN
04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
I was bottling last night and although I didn't get much foam I was able to make it "disappear" by tapping the side of the bottle a few times with the cap.